Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

RIP William Westenhaver a true friend and inspiration

Pages: 1 15 replies

K

Bill will truly be missed, he was a great freind and grandpa. I will always admire the positive outlook he had on life. He really did have a constant grin on his face. I have been very blessed to have known him for the last 20 years. The lessons he taught me on life I will forever be grateful. The skills he taught me in carving I will never forget and will always consider myself lucky to carry on his legacy.

Bills obituary.

WILLIAM JOHN WESTENHAVER

June 6, 1925-
December 14, 2016

He was a bright light that did not dim with age.

There were no strangers to Bill, only people he had not yet met.

Born in Aberdeen, Wash., to Charles and Olga (Benson) Westenhaver.

Billy was an only child who grew up in Aberdeen and later southern California when there were still some wild places. He loved the ocean, bays, lagoons, and backwaters that were prevalent back then.

He joined the Navy at the age of 17 and served in the South Pacific during WWII. He loved to draw and would always include drawings and artwork with his letters back home.

After the war, he married Patricia Jean Frank and started a family in southern Cal.

He worked for Union Oil and attended LA Art Center on the GI Bill.

Once he graduated from Art Center, he packed up the family, which now included sons Jerry and Kim, and moved to Washington.

After several fits and starts, he settled in Mount Vernon where son, Ty, was born.

It was here that Bill, along with cousin Robert Post, Jr., created Witco Decor Inc., a furniture manufacturing company that operated for approximately 20 years, until 1979.

Witco furniture is unique, collectible, and speaks to his prolific talent.

Bill continued with his art, painting, printing, and carving throughout his life. His artistic journey was chronicled recently in the beautiful art history book, "Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco."

While we, his family, always loved his creative works, he never looked back. He always looked forward to new endeavors.

Bill loved Skagit County, and in particular, Guemes Island. He would own a place on Guemes the rest of his life. The cabin on Guemes is a bonding point for four generations of Westenhavers.

He loved music, dancing, Husky football and golfing . . . badly.

William was a warm, gregarious and welcoming man who loved family, friends and life. He was truly loved by all.

He was preceded in death in 2006 by his dance and golf partner and wife of 59 years, Patricia.

He is survived by his loving companion Lillian Reggiatore, sons Jerry (Lea), Kim (Christy), Ty (Joyce); grandchildren, Heather (Ken) Pleasant, Jared (Mindy) Westenhaver, Jesse Willette, Todd (Anna) Stuart, and Stacie (Ryan) Moore; and great-grandchildren, Hazel, Hanna, Makenna, Gabby, Brody, and Blake.

A memorial is planned at a later date.

H

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ken. What an incredible legacy he has left, and what a gift he has given us. A Witco carving is hanging over my head as I type this. Love to Heather and your whole family.

T

So sorry to hear this... a giant to our world (and yours) has passed. Best wishes to you and yours in this difficult time.

Sad news -- but surely a life well lived. I'm very sorry for your loss.

An enormous loss to the tiki and art world. I adore his work.
I'm sorry for your loss, Ken.
He contributed so much to all of our lives.

H

So sorry to hear this sad news, my condolences to you and your entire family.

Sad indeed. His work and artistic vision have graced our home for years and have become cherished pieces of our everyday lives. Our thoughts go out to you and your family.

R

Very sorry to hear this news; his work has brought joy to so many of us who've discovered it through our shared love of tiki.

S

Thanks for letting us know. A great legacy.

A legend and artistic hero. What an incredible legacy. He left us but will always be with us. His mark upon the world will inspire and delite for generations. God speed Mr. westenhaver !

Condolences to you and your family, Ken.

OGR

My condolences to you and your entire family...he was an artistic pioneer.

Very sorry for you loss. He was a great and influential artist. All you have to do is look at a lot of the artwork posted on these boards throughout the years to see how much impact he had on artists.

T

So sorry for your loss. His art was unique and we are proud to have a Witco piece in almost every room of the house.

i'm sorry for your loss, ken and heather. we're all lucky to have had him. his amazing art will live on for decades, if not centuries.

So sorry for your loss.
We have lots o Witco here as well, love their stuff.

What a wonderful man we have lost. And what an inspiration for my work.

I am so glad he was around to see his work reappreciated by so many, even have it shown in a Paris museum. And how proud he must have been to have a talented family member such as Ken follow in his artistic footsteps and revive his designs.

I am glad to have provided him with a record of some of his artistic endeavors that he then was able to show to his children and grandchildren. I myself was treated like a member of the family when I stayed at Bill and Pat's house to research Tiki Modern in 2002. Upon learning that I was from a port town and loved seafood, they spoon-fed me their delicious, self-caught and smoked salmon for the rest of my stay.

The thing I loved perhaps most about Bill was that while he was a deeply spiritual person, he always had a twinkle in his eye and never took himself or his work too seriously. He was equally bemused and bewildered that Witco became so popular again, and had a ball with it.

Hugs to you, Heather and Ken, (and whoever needs one).

Your Sven Kirsten

Pages: 1 15 replies