Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mid-Century Tiki-Era V-Roof, Butterfly Roof, London Roof, Etc.

Pages: 1 1 replies

Great news for fans of mid-century architecture and homes. I found this article this morning --- a mid-century tiki-era roof design (1957 or so, Palm Springs and other places) is returning to new construction here in my city. So --- we have seen a mid-century tiki revival, a mid-century cocktail revival, and now perhaps a particular form of mid-century roof architecture revival which parallels some of the Polynesian pop activity of the time. While it's not poly-pop per se, it is of interest to those who have an eye for, and appreciation of, things which happened in mid-century American architecture.

My thoughts and question -- if you were to buy one of these new homes, what could you do with it to really make it look and feel mid-century, and perhaps, even poly-pop? These homes may offer unique opportunities for fans of mid-century modern and/or mid-century poly-pop.

I have not gone to the builder's web site yet, but will definitely see if there are more photos there. I find this a very interesting development, and I'll definitely have to visit the neighborhood(s) after construction and take pictures of what people do with these.

I understand it's just a roof. But it could be a platform on which keen eyes could really make some cool design things happen.

http://parkerassociates.com/blog/index.php/butterfly-revival-modern-housing-design/

Butterfly Revival in Modern Housing Design

January 18, 2017

The Butterfly Roof being built by TerraWise Homes in Jacksonville, Florida.

The Butterfly Revival

During the past year, TerraWise Homes of Jacksonville, Florida added a butterfly roof design as an option to its model home offerings. New home shoppers Eric and Heather Stevens were enamored with the exterior appearance and the interior room sloping heights of the new model. They became purchasers and their new home is now complete (see picture) and causing excitement among both new residents and visitors to its location in the northern Jacksonville suburban community of Cedarbrook.

As explained by TerraWise designer/builder, David Shacter, the butterfly roof is not unique, but has existed in this country for several decades. He and his Terrawise partner, Melody Shacter, thought it would be distinctive to offer it as an option on their new series of energy efficient small homes. The homes also are offered in more conventional “Craftsman” and “Prairie” designs. But, the butterfly design is attracting all the attention in their Cedarbrook community.

A “butterfly roof”, as shown in the accompanying pictures, is essentially a roof formed from an inversion of a standard sloped roof. The two roof surfaces slope down from opposing edges to a valley in the center. It resembles the raised wings of a butterfly and therefore is usually referred to as a butterfly roof, although alternate names have included ”V roof” and “London Roof” according to Wikipedia. This form has no gutter as rain water can run off the roof in no more than two locations at either end of the central valley into downspouts. The valley itself may be flat with a central “roof cricket” diverting water toward the valley, or sloping if the entire roof form is tilted toward one end of the valley.

Many observers of housing design in this country credit the butterfly roof to be the creation of William Krisel and Dan Palmer in Palm Springs, California during the late 1950s. Beginning in 1957, these two partners created nearly 2,000 such houses in a series of developments known as the Alexander Tract. Historian Alan Hess describes their work as “the largest Modernist housing subdivision in the United States”. But Krisel is quick to point out that he was not the originator of this form.

Indeed, online research shows that Butterfly Roofs have historic beginnings, at least dating back to the great French architect, Le Corbusier, who first used this structure in his design of a vacation home in Chile called Maison Errazuriz, in 1930. Shortly after, in 1933, a Czech-born architect used this same form on a house in Japan featured in Architectural Record magazine in 1934. The celebrated German-born architect, Marcel Breuer, used this same form on his Geller House in Long Island, New York in 1945.

So, the Butterfly roof is not new, but it is certainly creating a lot of new excitement in one Jacksonville community.

by Dr. David Forster Parker
January 1, 2017
For more information, contact Dr. David F. Parker
or go to our web site at http://www.parkerassociates.com

A late '50's, early '60s American made automobile parked in the driveway would work. Something with fins and taillights that look like rocket boosters. Unfortunately everyone will be parking their late-model, foreign-built design-0-turds out front and ruin the whole effect.

There's a new building just off the Kanner Hwy exit of I95 in Stuart Florida they're building, you can see it from the interstate as you drive by. Has a definite mid-century vibe to it. Looks like a glass showroom out front and warehousing in back. Unsure of what it is going to be. I drive by it everyday,

The new turnpike rest areas have a bit of a Mid-mod feel to them.....

https://irs1.4sqi.net/img/general/200x200/1267156_GR2KsN3vr20THs6bywKjutiQdEhDDdKrpkPX8obGKwc.jpg

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/48052ff5dd7a456299eb3a825d43a561/florida-fort-ft-drum-service-plaza-turnpike-highway-toll-road-rest-ffpnfr.jpg

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/sunpassages/archives/11.summer/images/rendering1.jpg

At least to me, anyway. I walked into the Sample Road exit one on a early weekday morning (2am-ish) and they even had Frank Sinatra playing on the Muzak.....was nice until the next selection came up, was Bee Gee's or some other '70s disco stuff....ruined the mood.

Haven't really seen any residences going up with Mid-Mod touches here. Maybe somewhere between here and J-ville the two will meld.

howlinowl

Pages: 1 1 replies