Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trying to Identify a Location

Pages: 1 8 replies

Trying to find an old tiki bar location in the Long Beach, California area based on an old newspaper clipping. Figured I would post it here and see if any experts out there recognize anything.

Here is the clipping:

The image comes from Page W-5 of the July 19, 1959, Sunday edition of the Long Beach Independent Press Telegram. I fully acknowledge that the image is (a) ancient, (b) black and white, and (c) of terrible quality, but I figured it might be worth a shot. Apologies in advance if I'm wasting anyone's time.

Bonus points if you can figure out the make of the clamshell scorpion bowl they are drinking out of.

Aloha and thanks in advance.

T

This could have been photographed at White Point where the dance was being planned and held. The theme was tropical/nautical, ergo the fish net and scorpion bowl.

Just a guess. :)

Thanks! Interesting possibility....

I don't know much about the area, so forgive my ignorance - I thought White Point/Whites Point was just the name of the area. Was there a bar/restaurant/hotel called "White's Point" in the late 1950s? Google was not helpful.

[ Edited by: HotelCharlieEcho 2017-02-08 16:27 ]

T

Since the article mentions the dance was to be held at White's Point, there must have been a facility at the location to accommodate the event. However, after re-reading, it seems to imply the planning was done at a different location, given the outcome was a yes to "staging groups... dance Aug. 8 at White's Point".

So no help there. :(

"summer cotton and sports jacket affair" I like that

My first guess looking at the clam-shell bowl was Mr. C’s at the Outrigger Inn, but that was not open until 1962. There are a host of possibilities in the Long Beach area circa 1959:

The Outrigger at the Lafayette Hotel and Lanais showed a clam-shell bowl on their menu.

There was also Don May’s Leilani Hut and The Reef at the Long Beach harbor.

DC

Very interesting - thanks for the info.

I love that clamshell scorpion bowl. I have seen some more recent clamshell bowls, but none seem to have quite the same size/scale. Does anyone know where Outrigger bought their ceramics from?

RD

On 2017-02-08 16:26, HotelCharlieEcho wrote:
Thanks! Interesting possibility....

I don't know much about the area, so forgive my ignorance - I thought White Point/Whites Point was just the name of the area. Was there a bar/restaurant/hotel called "White's Point" in the late 1950s? Google was not helpful.

[ Edited by: HotelCharlieEcho 2017-02-08 16:27 ]

While this is not the tiki bar you are looking for, Google does show that there was indeed a resort/hotel/spa at White's Point San Pedro much earlier than 1959. This resort was shut down in the late 1930's and the federal government demolished the resort and fortified the shoreline during World War II. In 1960 the state of California bought the area for a state beach.

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/2010/06/02/white-point-hot-spring-hotel/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408912841138216798/

Very cool! Thanks for the info - must have been quite a place to sit on the deck and watch the sunset!

Pages: 1 8 replies