Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lost Lake Tic Tac Taxi

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hello all!

Lost Lake's Tic Tac Taxi is probably my favorite Paul McGee drink ever, and I was wondering if anyone knew/had the recipe?

Thanks!

I have not seen the recipe displayed online. I have not tried that drink either so I have no basis to go by.

Although, on their site it lists the ingredients - Aged Multi­-Island Rum, Overproof Jamaican Rum, Coconut, Passionfruit, Lime

Overproof Jamaican would almost certainly be Smith & Cross. Multi Island rum would almost certainly include an Agricole rum, most popular is Clement. The other rum in the mix could be another Jamaican like Appleton as my best guess.

Fresh lime would be no more than 1 ounce, but it would be fresh squeezed.

I am almost 100% that they make their own Coconut cream, so you would want to use Coco Lopez at least. I would think 1 ounce of this.

They may very well make their own Passionfruit puree, but something like "Finest Call" should be an ok substitute. I would expect to see 3/4 of an ounce.

My best guess at the recipe with never trying it and not knowing the proportions would be something like this:

1/2 oz Smith & Cross
1 oz Clement white
1 oz Appleton Estate gold (this would be the one I am least sure about)
1 oz lime
1 oz coconut cream
3/4 oz passion fruit puree

Again, this is just a guess. You will have to tweak the portions to get the flavor profile of this drink. If you live close to Lost Lake, this would be much easier for you to make a drink and then go test it against their recipe. Remember to WRITE DOWN your trial and errors so that you can go back once you get close. Good luck!!!

When I see "multi-island rum" listed as a single ingredient, I'm more inclined to think Banks 5 Island or Banks 7 Age. Or, maybe it's the Plantation OFTD with its mix of Demerara, Jamaican and Barbados rums. With Paul as one of the OFTD co-creators, maybe this drink is showcasing that product?

On 2017-02-16 17:58, lunavideogames wrote:

Overproof Jamaican would almost certainly be Smith & Cross.

I've not had the drink either and S&C is certainly a likely candidate but my first thought with overproof Jamaican was actually Wray and Nephew.

On 2017-02-17 11:25, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
When I see "multi-island rum" listed as a single ingredient, I'm more inclined to think Banks 5 Island or Banks 7 Age. Or, maybe it's the Plantation OFTD with its mix of Demerara, Jamaican and Barbados rums. With Paul as one of the OFTD co-creators, maybe this drink is showcasing that product?

Multi-island rum is a very vague statement but the OFTD logic is definitely probable with McGee having a hand in it's creation and it being a blend of rum from three islands. But you would think with his stake in it, he would just call it by name.

I did see the plantation being used last time I was there, the bottle looked a little blurry though
:)

quote]
On 2017-02-17 13:40, mikehooker wrote:

On 2017-02-16 17:58, lunavideogames wrote:

Overproof Jamaican would almost certainly be Smith & Cross.

I've not had the drink either and S&C is certainly a likely candidate but my first thought with overproof Jamaican was actually Wray and Nephew.

I agree that it could very well be Wray, but every time I see "overproof Jamaican" on menus, they are referring to S&C. Could be just the area I live in though.

I do think that the multi island rum blend could easily be 3 rums or more. This would be the most difficult to replicate. It would be easy to ask them if someone lived close, although we would have to guess on the portions. Guyana is not a Caribbean island so I think we can rule out Demerara. I know no one said Demerara :wink:

I didn't see a rum list on their site but if we had that information, this would be a lot easier. I am sure that Lost Lake has a rum list.

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2017-02-19 21:35 ]

Tic Tac Taxi ­

El Dorado Dark Rum
Plantation Overproof Jamaican Rum
Lost Lake house-made coconut liqueur
passionfruit
lime

A

They may be sticking with Plantation brands. If so, the rums are likely Plantation 3 Stars (multi-island rum) and Plantation OFTD (overproof Jamaican rum)

I remember the drink being light and would favor the use of Plantation 3 stars and W&N. I had this pre-OFTD. And it was served in a mug - like coffee mug, maybe 12 oz max. Given a dilution of 20ish% with a 5 sec pulse plus 8 oz fresh ice, the total volume of ingredients should be in the 3.5 oz range. I'd imagine the W&N is there to boost the ABV and flavor up the 3-star. I think a bar would deploy 3 star over banks due to cost.

1.5 oz Plantation 3 Stars
.5 oz W&N Overproof
.75 oz lime
.25 oz passion fruit
.5 oz Coconut Cream

I made and tested a few variants since my assumption post. The best is:

1.5 oz Plantation 3 Stars
.5 oz W&N Overproof
.75 oz lime
.5 oz passion fruit (used BG Reynolds)
.5 oz Coconut Cream (used Coco Lopez)

Carpe Drinkum

The tic tac taxi!

I've used the new 75% abv white Velier 151 rum I have for this (I wanted a recipe that used unaged pot-still overproof which is what led me to this thread). The recipe listed above was:

1.5 golden rum
1/2 oz high strength white Jamaican rum
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz coconut cream (for this, I use the solidified stuff at the top of a can of coconut milk)
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup (I used peach syrup because I think it switches in for passion fruit fine, and this particular one is really tasty)

Shaken with ice and open poured into this glass here.

So to start with this was REALLY dry - I think maybe because the rum in using is stronger than Wray & Nephew and the extra alcohol is making the over-dryness happen.

Anyway, I added about another oz of coconut and another half oz of syrup, as I thought it needed to be both more creamy and sweeter.

It ended up being very good indeed, the best tasting drink I've made so far with coconut.

(My "house" golden rum is a 50:50 mix of mount gay black barrel and Appleton Estate, which kind of approximates something like Bacardi 8)

Pages: 1 11 replies