Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TONGA HUT KON TIKI 70th Anniversary Art Show & Parking Lot Sale Sunday, April 2nd!

Pages: 1 19 replies

T

Spring has sprung and the KON TIKI Expedition celebrates it's 70th anniversary. Sounds like a good reason to have a PARTY!!!

Please join us Sunday April 2nd @2pm for our next Parking Lot Sale and Art Show.
Theme: the KON TIKI Expedition

The bar opens and vending begins at 2pm.
Tonga Tom will be spinning tunes outside.
Durango's Tacos will be there too!
JASON LEE AND THE BLACK TIDES play inside at 6pm.

Here is the vendor line up:

Jungle Modern Ceramics
Black Cat Atomic Treasures
Killer Tentacle Octopus
Eric October
Stilettoed Devil
Black Lagoon Artworks
Gavin Graves' Tiki
Tiki Gonzo
Tiki Al
Red Belle's Boutique
Ron Monster
Clee Sobieski
RaraBird
Daveck
David Davis
TikiSwag
Ms. Formaldehyde
Come Hither by Cece
Boney Betty

All of the vendor spots are taken, please email me at [email protected] or PM me here to be put on the wait list.

Here is the line up for the Art Show so far:
Michael Sbicca
Ron Monster
Clee Sobieski
Heather Welch
Eric October
Jordan Dobbs Rosa
RaraBird
Muerto Arte
Logan Madison
Jonathan Morrill
Yamini Patel
Paul Ordonez
Black Lagoon Artworks
Pie-Eyes

Still accepting submissions, drop me a line if you want to get onboard!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-03-11 18:54 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-03-30 20:03 ]

T

Aloha Everybody!

Here is the vendor line up:

Jungle Modern Ceramics
Black Cat Atomic Treasures
Killer Tentacle Octopus
Eric October
Stilettoed Devil
Black Lagoon Artworks
Gavin Graves' Tiki
Tiki Gonzo
Tiki Al
Red Belle's Boutique
Ron Monster
Clee Sobieski
RaraBird
Daveck
David Davis
TikiSwag
Ms. Formaldehyde
Come Hither by Cece
Boney Betty

All of the vendor spots are taken, please email me at [email protected] to be put on the wait list.

Still accepting pieces for the Kon Tiki art show, updates coming soon!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-02-25 12:35 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-02-25 18:31 ]

T

Aloha everybody!

Here is the line up for the Art Show so far:
Michael Sbicca
Ron Monster
Clee Sobieski
Heather Welch
Eric October
Jordan Dobbs Rosa

Still accepting submissions, drop me a line if you want to get onboard

T

Aloha everybody!
Here's one of the pieces I'll have in the Art Show.
It's the original painting I did for the poster/postcards, but before I added the Tonga Hut tikis and the text.

It's based on the poster for the Academy Award winning Kon Tiki documentary from 1950.

Plugging away on more stuff, hopefully I'll have more to post soon!
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-03-11 18:49 ]

T

Two more artists joining the Art Show line up:

RaraBird
Muerto Arte

It's gonna be awesome!
See everybody on the 2nd!

T

Here's a detail of something I have in the works for the Art Show... it's part of a larger piece... this is a close up of a shot glass that has a miniature Kon Tiki raft sailing on the rim.
Picking it up from In The Kiln after the bisque fire in a few days, fingers crossed the whole piece turns out OK... I'll post more progress shots if all goes well!

Cool idea, Eric. A buddy and I have talked about wanting a mug/bowl that took the form of the Kon-Tiki expedition raft. I dig the idea of the raft traveling round and round the top of the mug here. :)

Did I miss something about the Hut's anniversaries? I thought it just had it's 55th in 2013?

Cheers!
:drink:
Ryan

T

Hey Ryan!

This event celebrates the 70th anniversary of the Kon Tiki Expedition... that voyage took place in 1947!

More great stuff in store for this show with lots more artists going the Art Show:

Logan Madison
Jonathan Morrill
Yamini Patel
Paul Ordonez
Black Lagoon Artworks

T

Here are some Kon Tiki pendants I have in the works. They just need the clear glaze and a firing and they'll be ready to go!

To emphasize the theme of this month's parking lot sale and art show, for the first time on public display:

It will be like the Kon-Tiki itself is parking in North-Hollywood! :wink:

T

WOW!!! That is freakin' fantastic, Sven!!! Can't wait to see it in person!

Here's another of my humble tributes to the Kon Tiki Expedition.

It's a bowl celebrating the Expedition. The bowl is in the shape of the Raroia Atoll where the Kon Tiki raft made contact with Polynesia. The raft is a separate piece, on the rim of a shot glass.

I've had this piece in mind for a a very long time, and this show was the perfect opportunity to finally create it!

The atoll and raft are not to scale. If you look closely at the middle of the upper part of the atoll, you will see a line that I included that represents an airfield landing strip for planes to take off and land on the atoll.

A fine example of creative dedication and unique follow through to a concept!

Nice atoll Eric! I don't get to see much of your art anymore

Nice work, Eric!

T

Mahalo for the awesome complement, Sven! I'm quite pleased that it came out so well!

Hey Mike! Outside of posting my stuff on event pages, I've been too busy to catalog what I've been up to lately... there's just too much stuff!

F

Eric- thanks for clearing that up about the 70th anniversary. Can't believe I didn't put that together after seeing your Kon tiki shot. By the way, love that atoll bowl and the pendants. I won't be able to make the sale but would love to buy two or three of those pendants. I've read Kon Tiki, see the original doc and of course watched the new movie that came out a couple of years ago. I'm an amateur Kon Tiki enthusianst! Wish I could be at the Hut to celebrate.

Cheers!
Ryan
:drink:

Eric, I hope to make this Tonga Hut event, but if I don't have a blast!! Looks to be a great time!

T

One last piece finished in time!
A Kon Tiki Book mug! I wasn't sure I'd get finished in time (and the last one I tried kinda blew apart in the kiln), but I picked it up today, and I'm excited it came out so well!

See everybody at the Hut!

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-04-02 00:39 ]

How did it go? Any pics of the show?

I don't have a ton of photos, but I did take some pictures of some of the entries in the Kon Tiki art show.

And let's close out with Big Mo, just because.

--
kevin

Pages: 1 19 replies