Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Bob's Mainland = Pagan Idol

Pages: 1 21 replies

H

I feel so ridiculously stupid for not noticing this up until about 20 minutes ago...

I'm confused... There were two Tiki Bobs in SF? Within walking distance of one another?

H

Precisely.

C

Nice work!

Holy Crap!

Thanks for finding this!

I can't believe I missed it!

Pretty awesome. I wonder if Pagan Idol even knows. You'd think they'd mention it somewhere.

H

Literally everything I have ever seen that mentions Tiki Bob's Mainland has incorrectly listed the address as 333 Bush so I don't think anyone had a clue. I was rather questioning myself in spite of the photographic evidence until I found that listing in a 1959 city directory to confirm it.

can't not mention, at bottom of that scan... Tiki Kon was a houseboy?

J

On 2017-03-02 17:28, mikehooker wrote:
Pretty awesome. I wonder if Pagan Idol even knows. You'd think they'd mention it somewhere.

They know now. I brought this to the attention of a friend who works there last night. They had thought it was up the street.

Wow, history is fun. Wendy

H

Yeah, I had emailed them right after I posted this as well. It would be so cool if they could find an actual print of that photo - I would think even a high quality scan wouldn't enlarge too well.

OGR

GREAT FIND...Deja Vu all over again :)

H

What an outstanding discovery, thank you so much for sharing it!

Cool!!!

Wow...the Tiki gods draw is powerful. :)

:)

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2017 6:26 AM

On 2017-03-03 08:14, HopeChest wrote:
Yeah, I had emailed them right after I posted this as well. It would be so cool if they could find an actual print of that photo - I would think even a high quality scan wouldn't enlarge too well.

That's my photo. I have it scanned at 600 dpi...
Tiki Lunch Hour

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2017-03-04 06:28 ]

H

Oh brilliant - that DOES enlarge pretty well! I actually have that issue of the magazine that the pics are from en route to me now and am going to give it to the PI crew, dead chuffed that they should be able to get some nice blow-ups from it.

Really cool discovery! The Mainland Tiki Bob's was of course home of the 1959 Lingerie show scandal of 1959.

DC

On 2017-03-05 07:12, Dustycajun wrote:
Really cool discovery! The Mainland Tiki Bob's was of course home of the 1959 Lingerie show scandal of 1959.

DC

Lingerie associated in any way with scandal? Inconceivable! :)

I'm checking in on this a little late - amazing find, great urban archeology! I love those "matching the angle of a vintage photo" shots, I took a bunch of them for Pete Moruzzi's "Havana" book :)

I took a trip to via Google street view and compared that to another Tiki Bob's Mainland "raid" photo:

There is no doubt about it: Compare the water pipe with the 4 connectors in the middle of the shot, it goes up to the fire escape in the same angle.

Man... What are the odds...

Pages: 1 21 replies