Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Sams somewhere in 'Sunny' UK

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

Hello. May I firstly say, as some of our cousins over the pond there may say, some of the posts on here are freakin' awesome!!
So I am a complete noob when it comes to Tiki. I only came across the site when I was originally planning on redesigning my garden. I had a outdoor bar on my deck but as you can probably imagine, the weather here in Blighty, isn't always forgiving and so I decided to try to construct an all season bar. Then while looking for ideas I stumbled across this site as I wanted to do something different from a local english boozer.

This of course meant me doing some drastic redesigning at the bottom of my garden. I had some room, but not a lot. I felt that I could fit a building in that was 2.4x4.8m (8'x16') but because of planning restrictions I had to keep it below 2.1m (just under 7') as I was close to my boundary.

So I came up with the following plan. This is just the bottom half of my garden:

My plan was to use as much 'upcycled' materials as possible. Most of the timber came from packing crates from my job....

Being in the UK it's hard to get hold of some of the stuff that I need for tiki so eBay and google became my friend.

So the challenge began. I decided on trying to use as many recycled materials as possible.

I dug out to level up:

Then the footings:

A dry run:

Unfortunately had to skip forward a while:

First eBay window:

Pallet walls go up:

More pallet walls and the start of the 'veranda'

Temporary 'pretty-fying!!'

Temporary roof:

Jump forward some more and internal insulation, vapour membrane and internal fitting out:

Bar built and the fitting out begins:

The start of the Exotic part of the garden:

So as you can see, it's all still work in progress. Have some more photos soon and an update.

H

TikiSam, your place looks great, nice progression pictures, looking forward to more.

Mate, that is absolutely brilliant. That looks like a really cosy and functional bar. With four taps I would have to assume you're using pony or Corny kegs due to the space size, but I love the fact that you have four different brews on tap.

Now that is an impressive transformation! You've done a tremendous job of turning found and scavenged sows' ears into silk purses. And I, too, admire your ambition of having four brews on tap. I'll bet you're the envy of your peers!

Great bar. Nice to see another one in the UK. Chris

Thanks HopeChest. Unfortunately the four tap went to the great tiki hut in the sky not so long ago and I haven't had the time (or funds!) to repair it, so for now it is just for show.

Had another stab at clearing the bottom of the garden while the sun made a rare appearance, by putting down the gravel path and clearing space with weed membrane,for my Himalayan Banana and windmill palms.

(apologies for the junk at the side!!)

Of course, I have to do this in between renovating the inside of the house!

[ Edited by: TikiSamUK 2017-03-04 11:41 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies