Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What was this Southern California place?

Pages: 1 4 replies

M

LA public library photo caption; dated March 30, 1959 reads "DeWitt McCann, president of Studio City Chamber of Commerce, discusses forthcoming Midnight Sale and also San Fernando Valley Tour to Hawaii with, from left, Valerie Fairbanks, Janice Antoinette, Donna Hart, Carol Jean McGill, Jo Ann Ryan, Delilah Henry and Marlene Dallugge."

Or try this link; http://jpg1.lapl.org/00126/00126909.jpg

Here's the pic. Not sure why above one didn't show.

That's a great looking place! The decor looks to be of quality and well done.

The black ashtrays on the table say something on the side but I can't get close enough to read. There's also a shell ashtray on the left used by a few different places over years.

The cut bamboo behind and above the girls is a good clue. It looks like a room separater or divider. Maybe between the dining and dance area or maybe bar area.

Could this be an interior shot of the Tahitian Restaurant?
I have seen those dark ashtrays marked before.

I'm sure this one will be figured out.
Nice one!
TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2017-03-10 10:16 ]

On 2017-03-10 10:07, TabooDan wrote:

Could this be an interior shot of the Tahitian Restaurant?

I like that idea - the chairs and the tables are a match and there's a peacock chair at the far left that would certainly work for placement (i.e. at the far left end of the bar as compared to the photo above). Ashtrays look good too.

Boy you guys figured that out fast! If you look at the upper right corner of the B&W photo and zoom in on the left center edge of the other you'll see an odd canopy/lamp (?) looking thing that looks pretty unique, certainly not common. I think you nailed it!

Studio City was the dead give-away. The Tahitian it is.

DC

Pages: 1 4 replies