Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Snakes on a Bed - Ersatz Witco?

Pages: 1 5 replies

This uses the same mask/sandblasting method of carving, but it looks to me a bit more ... sedate. Judging by the milling on back planks and patina, it looks like possibly 40s... more Mutiny on the Bounty.

Has anyone seen things made before Witco's heyday with the same methods?

Wish it had more palms trees, snakes and apples and no galleons.

Opinions Welcome, Thanks!

not even close

Right Happy

I know it's not Witco - that's why I didn't post it in the Witco thread...

I think it's older and stylistically not the same. But it is red cedar with a dark stain, probably walnut and uses the same technique.

I was hoping someone here knew of earlier furniture with this kind of sand modeling.

Youse guys have likely seen everything while on the hunt. :)

Thanks

[ Edited by: scoutsTIKIhouse 2017-03-15 19:53 ]

Tanks for posting Scouts. Interesting piece.
cheers

Cool bed. Kind of a strange mix of subjects. May be from the twenties. Back then there was a short lived "galleon" decor craze for some reason. They made all kinds of decorator items with the galleon motif like cast iron doorstops, bookends, table lamps, fireplace screens and tons of other stuff. I've seen more of these things than I can count but I have never seen a bed. Could be a one and done piece rather than a production design. Just may opinion though.

Thanks nui 'umi 'umi & uncle trav

I'm familiar with the nautical pieces you mention, uncle trav - I looked around yesterday and they mostly seemed to be from the 40s, but searching for 1920 galleons there were plenty. So I feel more confident it could be older.

There were at least 15 pirate movies made in the 1920s - starring Errol Flynne, Douglas Fairbanks and others.

I don't know what Witco uses to mask off areas they want to protect from sandblasting. but this design is duplicated exactly - Probably from a screening of masking material. So that seems to indicate it was made more than once - or maybe once as a prop for a movie? A studio would have the means to pull off something like this and I do live in LA. Who knows?

The theme is kind of confusing - Original sin and tropical pirate? And the rails are not finished as well or drawn as well.

Hey, thanks for the helpful input!

[ Edited by: scoutsTIKIhouse 2017-03-16 08:57 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies