Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Shopping in the 1960's

Pages: 1 10 replies

Boston Globe February 14th, 1967

Below, I split up the ad so people can read and see the details better -

Would be fun if the shops had this today!

This place was in Treasure Island... We tracked it down, it's a tiny stripmall where there still is an old time Florida "boutique" with some beachy things, but no old tiki...

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2017-03-25 23:08 ]

8T

What an interesting find. Thanks for sharing.
Demon mugs??? We've been calling them by the wrong name all this time!
And those carved fork and spoon sets weren't necessarily crammed into suitcases and brought home from the Pacific?

Such revelations. Now if I only had a little rickshaw to pull kids around in, my tiki experience would be complete. :lol:

cool! Win a trip to Bob Lee's Islander for dinner! I am IN!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=19091&forum=2&start=0&hilite=bob lee's islander

wow - i remember the turn style by my house as a kid - my mother took me to the grand opening because barbara eden was cutting the ribbon for some reason or she was there as a celebrity draw. none the less, i got to meet her. been hooked on blondes since.

This topic is covered a bit more in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=27808&forum=5&start=0&hilite=barefoot

Which includes this post.

A great ad from Palley's in southern California for their Hawaiian sale.

You could get everything you needed from Tiki mugs, salt and pepper shakers and lighters..

to Tiki shirts and Mumus

to glass floats

to Tiki torches and Luau cookout supplies

to hats, bongo drums and Polynesian paper goods

All for under $20.

DC

F

"Win a Children's Rickshaw!"
There's something I didn't expect to read/see today. Lol

Wow, those are great ads you guys found. Amazing how inflation has changed the price of things, although I guess $0.99 for an aloha shirt was the "sale" price...

Cheers!
:drink:
Finky

P

gee, why are the palm frond "coconut hats" so expensive in relation to everything else?
That's usually cheap tourist crap anywhere palms grow.
Weird.

CD

Wow...Those were the good ol' days! Prices are 10x higher now! I like to go to estate sales and swap meets to look for those kinds of items. Hit or miss but sometimes I get lucky.

Hey DC, I did not know there was another thread on this, sorry about creating a duplicate. I had did a search but nothing jumped out and hence posted the ad in a new thread. I understand the need to try and keep similar topics together for searching and reference. Nonetheless, another great ad you found from the same timeframe. I am sure there are more out there!

And, yes, the rickshaw thing is a rather odd one indeed!

Cheers, Teddie

Indeed there were many ads with the same array of Tiki related products from the 1960s. I will post a few more in the other thread.

DC

Pages: 1 10 replies