Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Where has This Trader Vic's tiki been?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I recently picked up this guy from a fellow tikiphile. He is going to be the greeter at my home tiki bar (progress hopefully starting later this year)

What I know about him.
-Was in the Trader Vic's Mai Tai Bar in Sarasota from 2010-2013 when it closed
-Was purchased from the sale of things at the Sarastota FL location after the bar closing from the gentleman I purchased him from.
-Gentleman said he was shown the original invoice and that the tiki was purchased from Oceanic Arts but didn't see when.
-Was part of a TV warehouse sale in early 2010 as seen in picture below. Found in this article: https://thetikichick.com/2010/03/22/trader-vics-warehouse-sale/

-Has some wear from what looks like being packed and moved that is visible in the above warehouse pic.

I figured he was just from Sarasota when I bought him but knowing how TV likes to re-use items I am starting to wonder if he had a life even earlier than that at some other location. In the mid 2000's Trader Vic's had closed quite a few bars

Beverly Hills -2007
Chicago - 2005
Osaka - 2006
Berlin - 2009
San Francisco - 2007
Bellevue - 2008
Shanghai - 2008
Dallas - 2010
Destin - 2010
Las Vegas - 2009
Beijing - 2008

So there may be a good possibility that he was also at one of these locations or possibly even someplace that closed earlier in the 90's or before. So I want to put it out there to all of you well traveled tikiphiles. Have you seen this tiki before and where? :) Thanks for the help. :)

-Mockingbird.

[ Edited by: Mockingbird 2017-04-03 07:48 ]

Karl you should put trader vic in the title of this thread to draw more attention to it.

Thanks Mike! Great idea.
Also I have been going through critiki one Trader Vic's at a time, looking through all the pictures. I think he shows up in this picture from Trader Vic's LA

But that is really odd because that bar was opened from 2009-2014? Does he have a twin or was he removed from that bar for some reason? The plot thickens.

Pages: 1 2 replies