Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Exotica night every 1st Thursday @ the Yachtsman, Philadelphia Pa

Pages: 1 5 replies

My friend Djs a monthly exotica night at the Yachtsman now. Every 1st Thursday 9-midnight. No cover. Get $5 off your first drink if you bring your own mug.

Is it a good crowd? I've avoided the Yachtsman as it's been mediocre the times I've been there, but if there's a chance of actual exotica being played (instead the soundtrack to Paul Simon's The Capeman, which was seriously playing the when I was there), and a few other tiki fans to rub elbows with, I'm down.

The Djs only spin exotica on vinyl until 12 or 1 depending on the crowd. Its cool that people came out and brought their own mugs.

Greenrock Tavern just started doing a monthly tiki night, with drinks served in mugs, but unfortunately they were playing yacht rock, and there were only a couple people ordering drinks.

On 2017-04-18 09:36, okoolihau wrote:
Is it a good crowd? I've avoided the Yachtsman as it's been mediocre the times I've been there, but if there's a chance of actual exotica being played (instead the soundtrack to Paul Simon's The Capeman, which was seriously playing the when I was there), and a few other tiki fans to rub elbows with, I'm down.

Very cool development. On the couple of occasions that we brought a bunch of Tiki people to the bar, they played Exotica for us - until the 7 o'clock crowd came in, who wanted anything but Exotica on. I hope this takes root. If it does, we'll bring a bunch of the DC Tikiphiles up to Philly again.

what on earth is "yacht rock"? It sounds frightening, like frat rock. And They played the soundtrack to Capeman? I'm sure Paul Simon's family didn't even want a copy of that.
ok after posting this Mr. Tikigoddess filled me in on yacht rock. Ye gads yuck, do the hipster youth think its cool in an ironic sense?

[ Edited by: TikiGoddess 2017-04-29 12:21 ]

In a not so shocking turn of events the Yactsman is closed for good. Exotica night has been moved to Ortlieb's where they are still doing a tiki mug discount.

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2017/05/05/tommy-up-yachtsman-bankruptcy/

Pages: 1 5 replies