Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Another question for Tiki Caliente vets...

Pages: 1 11 replies

So my wife and I will be heading to Palm Springs on Friday the 19th for Tiki Caliente. Thinking of spending time at the event all day Saturday (we love the Tonga Hut and Bootlegger Tiki and will want to have a drink/dinner at those places-unless you think the event would be more enjoyable), I wonder how drinking will take place at the event? I imagine there are bars at the event (including the pool), but there is also a symposium we want to attend. Then of course there is the evening with room crawls.

I think pacing will be very important, so as not to over-do it. So I thought I would ask folks who have done this sort of thing before for advice on planning/expectations?

Thank you in advance:)

I think realizing that you'll need to pace yourself puts you ahead of the game already. Just remember to drink plenty of water. And wear a hat/sunblock/umbrella the sun can get brutal, even if you are standing waist deep in the pool. Don't forget that our esteemed host Rory is running The Reef restaurant at the hotel so technically you never have to leave :)

A

Heaps of drinks available. Check out Tonga and Bootleggers for Happy Hour.
See ya Friday at the new tiki bar, the Reef, located at the Caliente Tropics!

I tend to show up on Thursday and for most of the weekend I stay within walking distance. This means I eat at the Tropics, Kings Highway, or Elmer's. I love to hang out in the pool, and when there I try to mostly drink water. I also try to have a nap or rest period for at least an hour in the late afternoon. I am not much of a night person, so I have to be sure to re-charge.

Don't be afraid to miss things. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. I know some folks that come from out of town and spend a lot of time enjoying Palm Springs along with the event.

Oh, but make sure you take the time to talk to people you don't know. Tiki Caliente is a great place to meet some awesome tiki people.

I traded my heart in on another liver. Now I can drink more and care less :wink:

On 2017-05-01 10:57, Cindiluhui wrote:
I tend to show up on Thursday and for most of the weekend I stay within walking distance. This means I eat at the Tropics, Kings Highway, or Elmer's. I love to hang out in the pool, and when there I try to mostly drink water. I also try to have a nap or rest period for at least an hour in the late afternoon. I am not much of a night person, so I have to be sure to re-charge.

Don't be afraid to miss things. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. I know some folks that come from out of town and spend a lot of time enjoying Palm Springs along with the event.

Oh, but make sure you take the time to talk to people you don't know. Tiki Caliente is a great place to meet some awesome tiki people.

Hello Cindiluhi:) Thank you for the great food for thought. Speaking of food, what is the food like at the restaurants you mentioned?

On 2017-04-29 15:57, aboarts wrote:

Hello aboarts:) What is known about the Reef? We love Tonga and Bootleggers but will only have so much time and ability for drinks, so we will have to target our efforts:)

Oh yes, and what about the room crawls? I'm guessing those drinks will be smaller in size right?

A

Room crawls are posted on site and at the tiki calibrate website. Remember to tip $1 per drink. The drinks can be quite good...or quite dreadful. It depends on who creates them and what they use. The bars should be open for a few hours after the entertainment at the Tropics end, but not too many. PS closes up early.
The Reef is the bar at the Caliente Tropics. Rory is heavily involved. Haven't been there yet, but those who have give it 2 thumbs uo.

On 2017-05-05 20:21, aboarts wrote:
Room crawls are posted on site and at the tiki calibrate website. Remember to tip $1 per drink. The drinks can be quite good...or quite dreadful. It depends on who creates them and what they use. The bars should be open for a few hours after the entertainment at the Tropics end, but not too many. PS closes up early.
The Reef is the bar at the Caliente Tropics. Rory is heavily involved. Haven't been there yet, but those who have give it 2 thumbs uo.

Thank you so much aboarts! We will certainly have singles on hand to show our appreciation:)

Look into the Buzz Bus.

On 2017-05-03 08:40, arcadiandj wrote:

On 2017-04-29 15:57, aboarts wrote:

Hello aboarts:) What is known about the Reef? We love Tonga and Bootleggers but will only have so much time and ability for drinks, so we will have to target our efforts:)

Oh yes, and what about the room crawls? I'm guessing those drinks will be smaller in size right?

The Reef is on site and not to be missed. Great food and drinks on par with Bootlegger and Tonga Hut

Look into the Buzz Bus.

Pages: 1 11 replies