Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tonga Hut KON TIKI 70th Anniversary: THE ARRIVAL parking lot sale Sunday, July 30!

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

70 years ago the Kon Tiki expedition set sail from South America to Polynesia... we celebrated the Departure at the spring event, now we celebrate the Arrival this summer!

Please join us Sunday July 30th @2pm for our next Parking Lot Sale.
Theme: The KON-TIKI EXPEDITION, 70th anniversary of the ARRIVAL

The bar opens and vending begins at 2pm.
Tonga Tom will be spinning tunes outside.
Durango's Tacos will be there too!
The DYNOTONES go on at 6pm
Celebrating 29 years of Fuzz & Reverb

VENDOR SPACES ARE FILLED!
Here is the line up:
Ms. Formaldehyde
Stilettoed Devil
Krisdrama
Daveck
RaraBird
Meteor Jewelry
David Davis
Clee Sobieski
Ron Monster
Thom Toolery
Killer Tentacle Octopus
TikiSwag
Black Cat Atomic Treasures
Tiki Gonzo
Come Hither by Cece
Lynn Mcguire
In The Kiln

Stand by list is, well, standing by, let me know if you'd like to be added to that. Contact me at [email protected].

Kon Tiki raft build contest info coming soon!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2017-05-16 18:19 ]

T

Aloha everybody!

Just wanted to post info about the Kon Tiki Raft Build for this event...

In 1947, the Kon Tiki expedition and helped spark the tiki craze that was to come in the following decades. At that time, hobbyists and model builders across the globe created mini-replicas of the raft as public interest in the expedition grew exponentially.

Tonga Hut would like to continue the tradition with the Kon Tiki Raft Build Contest!

The contest is open to anyone who would like to participate.

There is no minimum size, but the max should be no more than a foot wide and a foot tall (display space at the event is limited!).

Materials are wide open... anything goes, from cardboard, twine, balsa wood to metal, glass, or even edible items!

Completed rafts are due on the day of the event before 2pm.

The winning entry, determined by popular vote, will receive a custom ribbon, a bottle of rum, and another item that I have in the works (Kon Tiki related... I'll post photos soon!)

Please PM me here or email me at [email protected] to let me know if you would like to participate!

Mahalo!

T

Aloha everybody!

Working on the "Trophy" for the Kon Tiki Raft Build Contest!

In true tiki culture fashion, it's less of a trophy, and more of a mug... here's an in-progress shot.

When completed, it will be a Kon Tiki book, commemorating the 70th anniversary of the expedition. And you can drink rum out of it!

Hope you like! Get working on those rafts!

T

Aloha everybody!

Here are the first completed pieces from my new Tiki Bob pendant/earring mold! Each ceramic Bob is 1.5" tall.

This particular Tiki Bob is based on the Bob used on menus and other ephemera. It was difficult translating a 2D object into three dimensions, so the original sculpt and subsequent mold were also difficult to utilize.

I rethought the design, and came up with something that is stupidly more easy to use!

They'll be available at the Hut! See everyone on the 30th!

T

Aloha everybody!

In The Kiln will be on the scene on the 30th! You can custom glaze your own tiki mug to other ceramic pieces they'll have available.

They have some new items this time, including a ceramic bobble hula girl!

Check 'em out at the Hut!

T

Aloha everybody!

Darren Long's awesome band, The Tiki Delights have a new CD out - "Swank". Lots of loungey vocals, and a couple of instrumental tracks. I did the artwork for the Album!

I'll have copies available at my booth this Sunday, $10 each.

See everybody there!

T

Aloha everybody!

My holy Grail of of tiki mugs comes from my Tiki Obsession, the legendary Stockton Islander... the Bumatay Islander mug.
Since I've never had the good fortune to find one out in the wild, I decided to do the somewhat next best thing and make shotglasses!

I have a small batch ready to debut on Sunday!

See everybody there!

Eric, GREAT WORK on the album cover and the shot mugs...Bravo.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 28, 2017 11:16 PM

Nice Bumshots.

Pages: 1 8 replies