Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2017

Pages: 1 8 replies

TT

In the past I had always seen a thread for attendees to give updates and post pics etc... Since I did not see one..here it is. Please post goings on, comments, updates, pics or whatever shakes your cocktail. My car is packed and getting ready to go. Picking up my girlfriend then start the 3.5hr drive from Safety Harbor, FL to Ft Lauderdale. The weather looks average, but I don't expect that will slow things down one bit. Aloha

The weather on Tuesday night when I drove in was very wet, and Wednesday was also very wet with 4 or 5 hours of break in the afternoon. I saw one post (on Yapp, I think) that flight schedules were messed up -- delays and cancellations. I like to drive down a full day ahead to check in, then relax on Wednesday, and maybe hit up some of the great thrift and vintage shops in the greater Fort Lauderdale area.

Marina and her Mermaids did a great burlesque version of their show last night at the Wreck Bar. I haven't uploaded any pics yet, but will post some.

The pre-party at the Molokai Bar was great fun. It was noticeably more comfortable with a wrist band requirement in place -- you could move around more easily, and the air conditioning wasn't overwhelmed by too many people. We met several first-time Villagers and a number of old-timers.

Lots of great stuff is lined up tonight with the Hukilau kick-off and the Tiki Tower Takeover. Should be great fun as always.

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2017-06-12 09:28 ]

S

Another great year. Another year that was too short to get caught up with everyone and meet new people as much as I'd like. Another year I can't believe Crazy Al gets by on 2 hours of sleep and the occasional meal.

All the staff said this was the most laid back and easy going years ever. Behind the scenes it was a good year too.

I was very worried about my Legends presentation but the folks were great and from the feedback, everyone loved it way more than I would have expected.

Mike Skinner schooled me on Mai-Kai history and more. Ron Ferrell killed it with his first ever presentation. He's a walking library of info!

Too much rum!

The food truck was a great addition.

Weather cleared and stayed clear after Thursday.

Still processing it all, but after a road bump, it appears attendance was same or slightly up from last year.

Yes, it was another great Hukilau! Lots of new people came to the event, and it was great fun.

Here are a few pics from the Tiki Tower Takeover. I'll post more pics in another post when I'm done downloading them.

Tiki Tower Takeover - Three Dots and a Dash:

Here's a different version of a "Tiki Tower:"

And the view from the tower -- the wet weather did clear up very nicely on Thursday.

Can't wait to see more pictures. And glad to know it was laid back and went smoothly. I swore off Hukilau several years ago but might just be inspired to return in the future.

S

Great to hear exotica live.

Great to hear the Hula Girls in Tahiti. They were fantastic.

Great to stumble upon this "drink":

Rum Barrel? Rum Garbage Can!

Here's some pics from the 2017 Hukilau. This was our first ever tiki event of any kind. It was, however, our 3rd trip from Ottawa to the Mai-Kai in the past 14 months. 1st visit was part of the Desperately Seeking Tiki Tour: Part I (we are currently planning Part III: The "Wet" Coast, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver). For the longest time it seemed everyone we met were 1st timers, so there were indeed quite a few newbies like us. A tip someone posted here was to go to everything. So we tried. I went to all 4 of the Cocktail Academy courses and 2 Symposiums, while the better half did the carving course with Will. We did not do any of the Mermaid shows or the "Rat Pack", but in hindsight sleep is for when you get back home. We both had a blast. It had rained so hard since we arrived on Tuesday, but the weather cleared up nicely in time for the Pool Party. All the cocktails were amazing. Did some shopping. Met so many people. Everyone was so helpful and friendly and we had an amazing time. Doff of the cap to the organizers and the volunteers.

Hyatt Regency Pier 66

Wednesday: The Hukilau Pre-Party at Mai-Kai w. DJ James Brown's Sweat

Great to roam the Mai-Kai while eerily empty

Thursday: First Timers Welcome Reception

The Tiki Tower Takeover

Tiki Treasures Bazaar

This year's mug

Friday: Rum Island Pool Party

Sip 'n Dip Lounge - Great Falls Montana

The S.O.S. Tiki Bar - Decatur Ga.

Flask & Cannon - Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Pagan Idol - San Francisco

Friday: The History of Rum in 10 Cocktails – Ian Burrell

Friday: Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy -- Three Dots & a Dash What Just One Rum Can't Do

Friday: Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy -- Scotty Schuder On the First Day God Made the Daiquiri

Friday: The High Tide Party at The Hukilau

The Mermers

The Surfrajettes

Saturday: Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy -- Daniele Dalla Pola Pineapple Paradise

Saturday: Okole Maluna Cocktail Academy -- Hidden Harbor Art & Science of the Tiki Garnish

Saturday: High End Rum Tasting -- Ian Burrell

Forgot to add the rums... The tastings, in order, were Ron Barcelo Imperial Blend 30th Anniversary, Mount Gay 1703 Master Select, Appleton Estate 21 Yr., Rhum J.M XO, Dos Mederas PX (5x5), El Dorado 21 Special Reserve and then some Plantation 20th Anniversary as a bonus

Mai-Kai Saturday Night

Stolen Idols

The Hula Girls

Skinny Jimmy & Stingrays

Sunday: The Hukilau Finale Lost Cocktails of the Mai-Kai

Sunlight in the Mai-Kai!!

Behind the stage

a raise of the cocktail to all organizers, volunteers, participants, vendors, workers involved.

[ Edited by: rum on the rideau 2017-06-28 13:34 ]

Looks like a great time and LOT of drinking!

Great photos! I didn't know this thread existed.

I'll be adding all my edited photos to The Atomic Grog shortly. In case anyone missed it, there's a blog post with all the live coverage (including lots of photos and videos) ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2017/06/07/the-hukilau-2017-schedule-live-updates-news-and-photos/

And I posted a bunch of photos over on this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=48724&forum=1&start=120

Aloha!

Pages: 1 8 replies