Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Weatherproofing lauhala matting

Pages: 1 5 replies

I

Hello. I intend to build an outdoor bar as a summer project with my son and plan to use some lauhala matting on the front and sides. Can anybody suggest a good way to make it a bit weather resistant? We plan a design that we'll keep out during the summer, but break down and store for the winter.

I don't know how well it would work on lauhala, but I've had good experiences with Flood CFW UV. For my climate, at least, the UV component is essential. The intensity of the sun is simply brutal from June through September. I've found it a little thick to be effectively applied via sprayer, but it brushes or rolls on easily enough (particularly the clear, unpigmented version).

I

Thanks for the tip. I will add it to my list of products to research.

I'm in the South, so I'm keeping the sun as well as summer rainstorms in mind. I want to prevent mold and mildew as much as possible. I've thought about spraying them down with an anti-mold and mildew spray, then following up with a hydrophobic coating. It's all an experiment.

I know the feeling. I'm making most of this up as I go along. But I've been happy with the protection Flood offers on my privacy fence--which the previous owners neglected terribly--so I figure it will do just as well on my woven bamboo paneling. It at least seems to have sticking power. I tried some Thompson's water seal on the boo and it never dried, never soaked in. All it did was make a mess. I'd never see that happen before.

T

New bamboo and reed has a waxy coating that is natural.
Till it gets older this will keep things from soaking in.

If you think of this stuff as paper how would you protect it?
You can't do it very well you will find.

If wood comes from a tree then we mash it to make paper the farther you get from the tree
state the less durable it will be.

Same with bamboo if the matting is the skin of reed it gets less durable, AND it's woven so the weave keeps moisture in and that's not good.
The fat stuff is made of a type of leaf I think.
Now the bugs LOVE the new matting you put up cuz that's the condition's they live in best.
Wasps eat it and build nests with it.

It's just not a good fit for outdoors, we get lots o rain, snow, cold so it's really bad here.
But you got the sun and that kills it too.
If you must use it make small panels that can be replaced easy and often (2 years?)

"but Skip I see it at parks like Disney" yep they got guy that fix stuff every day 24/7

Good luck, I say use something that will last a bit longer and spend more time drinking and less time and money on matting.

I

Thanks for the post, Skip. I just found your "best and worst things" thread. A lot of food for thought, and cautionary tales.

Pages: 1 5 replies