Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Summer time outdoor bar project

Pages: 1 4 replies

I
Iolani posted on Sun, Jul 2, 2017 1:06 PM

After a fun afternoon lounging at Trader Sam's with my son earlier this year, he floated the idea of a father-son summer project, specifically building a tiki bar so he could enjoy Schweitzer Falls and relax. And I wanted an outdoor space where I could relax, study, and finish my master's work to the sounds of Martin Denny.

After exchanging some PMs with a couple of you, I wanted to share a few photos of our build so far. It's an outdoor bar that won't actually be outdoors for most of the year.

The primary design considerations were to make this easily collapsible and storable. The sides fold courtesy of piano hinges. The top is quickly removable. We will leave it out during the dry months, and return it to storage (the base in the shed, counter in my den) for the wet Winters and Springs.

For the build, I took inspiration from Rom Hazelton's collapsible bar build...

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how_to_build_an_outdoor_serving_bar

... and from Japanese wood preservation for the trim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhvR8KwWhw

I guess you can call my trim chou pine ban or pine-yaki. I love this treatment and decided against carving. I went with a heavy char.

I also took inspiration from Kahiki Guy's bartop decoupage work. Our counter features several maps from Captain Cook's voyages, old Hawaiian prints, a tapa cloth placemat, and some old family slides of our years in Hawaii. Decoupage and (currently) 6 coats of spar urethane and counting.

The lauhala was prepped by soaking it in anti-mold and mildew solution and drying & flattening it in the sun, then applying several coats of water sealant. Yes, I was warned, but I'm also one generation removed from living in nipa huts in far hotter, wetter, and critter-y conditions, so I'm erring on the side of my father's advice on the matter of materials. If this turns out poorly, it's also designed to be easily removable. (Score 1 for modular open-system architecture :) )

I installed red micro leds under the bar top. I like the glow, but may add a second string. I'll see how it looks with the other lighting we'll have out on the lanai.

We still have some touch-up and painting work to go. Decor (Japanese float lights, pufferfish, coconut lamps) will be brought out for entertaining.

KG

Looking Good! Smart idea to build a collapsible bar. And I like the idea of the family photos in Hawaii! Mahalo for the nod. Keep us posted on the progress.

Interesting approach. I'd not come across the collapsing bar concept before, thanks for sharing the link. Next, you've got to post photos of the bar in use!

Very clever!!

awesome! Love the idea of family photos from your trip to Hawaii. Very cool!

Pages: 1 4 replies