Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Plantation "country" rums

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've been pondering some of the less well known country-specific Plantation bottlings and wondered if anyone has any tips on which might work well in cocktails (or just good to sip).. I'm familiar with the OFTD and Original Dark; and the Barbados 5yo which is seemingly the most common bottling where I am.

I'm thinking more the Guyana, St Lucia, Panama, Nicaragua ones from around 2004/5. They seem to still be widely available and not a bad price. Are any of these a total must-have? Tasting notes are not easy to find on these particular bottles on the web. Cheers!

I've only had their Jamaica 2001 bottling, which I found to be a good rum, but not for the price. It reminded me of a sweeter, milder Appleton 12 that cost $12 more. Fine as a sipper, but too soft-spoken to be heard in anything but a very simple cocktail and a little too pricey to mix with outside of special occasions.

That's really helpful thanks!

I do find the Barbados 5 a good mixing rum (it sits in my "blended lightly aged" slot under the Martin Cate system) but I very rarely use it without pairing with ED8 or Meyers underneath. It adds a lovely cognac-like smoothness and some refinement of flavour and while it isn't exactly shy I feel like it also wouldn't punch through too well by itself.

The Plantation Trinidads (I've tried the 1998 and the 2001 - I think) are superb.

I loved the St. Lucia - it made a pretty great mai tai but it was best as a sipper.

Pages: 1 4 replies