Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 8-9-17 The Lyricists

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: August 9, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we will feature a raft of songs written by the surprisingly large number of lyricists who were born in the oracular month of August.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “I'm Getting Sentimental Over You” is the 1932 song by George Bassman with words by Ned Washington, recorded in 1940 and found on the historical document titled: Dorothy Lamour – Queen of the Hollywood Islands.

2. “On the Street Where You Live” composed by Frederick Loewe with words by Alan Jay Lerner for their 1956 musical My Fair Lady, found on the righteous retrospective: Best of Vic Damone.

3. “Too Late Now,” the song by Burton Lane and Alan Jay Lerner recorded in 1955 by The De Castro Sisters with Skip Martin & His Orchestra, found on the sisterly CD: Teach Me Tonight.

4. “I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance” composed in 1932 by Victor Young with lyrics by Ned Washington and Bing Crosby, sung by Tony Martin and backed by Frank’s second cousin, band leader Ray Sinatra, on Martin’s fond look back: Tenement Symphony.

5. “A Lot of Livin’ to Do” was inked by composer Charles Strouse and lyricist Lee Adams for the 1960 Broadway musical: Bye Bye Birdie, sung by Joanie Sommers her 1961 LP: For Those Who Think Young, arranged and conducted by Marty Paich, including Stu Williamson, Conte Candoli and Al Porcino on Trumpets; Frank Rosolino and Harry Betts on Trombones; Bud Shank on Alto Sax and Flute; Abe Most on Flute, Clarinet and Alto Sax; Bill Perkins and Jack Montrose on Tenor Saxes; Lou Levy on Piano; Bill Pitma on Electric Guitar; Buddy Clark on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

6. “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” was composed by Jerome Kern with words by Otto Harbach for the 1933 Broadway musical: Roberta and was performed in 1953 by Eartha Kitt with Henri René and his Orchestra, appearing on the paradisical CD: Bluebird’s Best – Heavenly Eartha.

7. “Witchcraft” was 1957 song created by the composer Cy Coleman and lyricist Carolyn Leigh, sung the year it was written by Frank Sinatra, with the orchestra arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle, and was found on the comely collection: Classic Sinatra – His Greatest Performances 1953-1960.

8. The classic “Unchained Melody” was composed by Alex North with Lyrics by Hy Zaret for the 1955 prison movie: Unchained, and was waxed by none other than Les Baxter Orchestra & Chorus and is found on the supple CD: Tamboo & Skins.

9. “Put on a Happy Face” was composed by Charles Strouse with words by Lee Adams for the 1960 musical: Bye Bye Birdie and was performed by Blossom Dearie on Vocal and Piano on her 1964 polite LP: May I Come In? with the Orchestra arranged and conducted by Jack Marshall.

10. Singer Eddie Jefferson put words to Hank Crawford’s tune “Sherry,” which was one of the highlights of Jefferson’s 1976 able album: Vocalease, supported by Wayman Reed on Trumpet and Flugelhorn, Richie Cole on Alto Sax, Mickey Tucker on Keyboards, Rick Laird on Bass, Eddie Gladden on Drums and Harold White on Percussion.

11. “I've Got Your Number” was composed by Cy Coleman and lyricist Carol Leigh for the1962 Broadway musical: Little Me, and was vocalized by Barbara McNair on her lively terminus: The Livin’ End, recorded in 1964.

12. “ Almost Like Being in Love” was created by composer Frederick Loewe and wordsmith Alan Jay Lerner for the 1947 Broadway musical: Brigadoon, recorded live in 1993 by Jon Hendricks and the All-Stars for their azurial album: Boppin’ at the Blue Note, featuring Mr. Hendricks scatting with his daughter Michele Hendricks, Wynton Marsalis on Trumpet, Renato Chico on Piano, Red Holloway on Alto Sax; Benny Golson on Tenor Sax; Ugonna Okegwa on Bass and Andy Watson on Drums.

13. “The Nearness of You” was composed by Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics by Ned Washington for the 1938 John Barrymore Movie: Romance in the Dark, and was the title tune on the amiable album dropped by Helen Merrill in 1958, with Oscar Pettiford on Bass; Bobby Jaspar on Flute; Bill Evans on Piano; George Russell on Guitar and Jo Jones on Drums, arranged and conducted by Hal Mooney.

14. “I Know That You Know” was forged by lyricist Otto Harbach with assistance from Anne Caldwell O’Brien for composer Vincent Youmans’ song that was included in the 1926 Broadway musical: Oh, Please! Sung by Jackie Ryan on her exceptional CD: You and the Night and the Music, supported by Tamir Handelman on Piano, Carol Robbins on Harp, Larry Koonse on Guitar, Christoph Luty on Bass and Jeff Hamilton on Drums.

15. “Show Me,” the Lerner & Loewe song from the 1956 musical: My Fair Lady, performed by Karrin Allyson from her CD: DayDream, featuring Paul Smith on Piano, Danny Embrey on Electric Guitar; Rod Fleeman on Acoustic Guitar; Bob Bowman on String Bass; and Todd Strait on Drums.

16. “My Foolish Heart” was composed for the 1949 movie of the same name by Victor Young with lyrics by Ned Washington and was sung by Mark Murphy on his amorous album: Love Is What Stays, recorded when he was 75, featuring Frank Chastenier on Piano and Lee Konitz on Alto Sax, with the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin arranged and conducted by Nan Schwartz.

Pages: 1 0 replies