Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Modernism Show, Aug 25-27, 2017

Pages: 1 6 replies

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 21, 2017 9:13 PM

Any Colorado (or other) TCers going to the Denver Modernism Show this weekend? This year's general theme is "space age," but I'm most interested in the tiki vendors and tiki lounge.

http://www.denvermodernism.com/tiki.html

I've never been before. My sister seems interested in going Friday night, even though it's an hour and a half one-way trip for us. If she decides against it, I may just go alone on Saturday.

This lecture on Saturday looks interesting:

Ultra Mod: An Introduction to Space Age Design and Designers. A Power Point presentation by Boyd Rice. Main Stage. From Disneyland's House of the Future to A Clockwork Orange, "ultra mod" is the 1960s and 1970s vision of the year 2001.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 22, 2017 10:50 PM

I agree. I'm also interested in the theremin performance. And the tiki lounge happy hour....

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Aug 25, 2017 7:26 PM

I'll be there tomorrow (Saturday). If anyone else is there and wants to say hello, I have brown hair and glasses and will be wearing a bright red aloha shirt with white hibiscus. I plan to arrive by noon at the latest and go to the "Ultra Mod" and theremin presentations, wander around, and end the day in the tiki lounge. Hope to see you there!

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2017 4:47 PM

Perhaps my hopes were too high, but this wasn't as great as I was expecting. I suppose a lot had to due with audio/visual technical difficulties: both the "Ultra Mod" and Theremin presentations were plagued with issues. The trailer campers were cool, and there were some interesting vendors, but the tiki lounge was "meh," so I opted to save my money for Adrift, and later Hidden Idol.

The highlight of the day was definitely meeting and chatting with MaukaHale.

Hamo, it was a pleasure to meet and visit with you. You've convinced me to take the train to California some day.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2017 10:34 PM

Let me know when you come to Estes next, and I'll treat you to the "tiki bar," and then have you to my place for something drinkable....

Pages: 1 6 replies