Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

MAI KAI and Hurricane Irma?

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

Anyone know how the Mai Kai is prepping for Irma? They're pretty close to the ocean.

If so, please keep us updated! Lots of luck, Mai Kai!

H

This is what they posted on Instagram.

Not surprised at anything that the Mai Kai does. They are First Cabin all the way. Floridians and the Mai Kai and their staff are in our hearts and prayers .

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 8, 2017 4:59 AM

This is from hurricane Donna or Dora in the 60s. The structure of the Mai-Kai is steel. Things like the thatch on the port cochere may get taken out, but the main building should be okay. That doesn't mean they might be out of commission for a while, just like the whole area...

H

damn....my birthday coming up in a couple of months and I was making plans on either the Mai Kai or Chuck's Seafood in Fort Pierce for dinner (depending on finances....Chuck's was my local choice if I couldn't justify the couple hours trip and hotel room in Lauderdale). Now, Mai Kai may be out of commission and since Chucks is on the FtP inlet, and took quite a beating in 2004, and depending on how my place holds out, my finances may be on the ropes, also......Looks like it may be Mickey Dee's for B-day this year.

howlinowl

In addition to the Mai-Kai we have concerns about the Wreck Bar, the Bahi Hut, the glass house in Sarasota, the great 50s motels in Treasure Island, JD's in Indian Rocks Beach, the Elbo Room, Bern's Steak House, Sponge-O-Rama, the Tahitian Resort, the Hemingway house in Key West, Sloppy Joe's, the Bamboo Beer Garden, the Buccaneer, the Top o' Spray, and about 500 other places...

T

Wow, so much beautiful history at risk in addition to the many lives being impacted. Keeping them our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the picture and info Tim.

On 2017-09-08 08:37, howlinowl wrote:
damn....my birthday coming up in a couple of months and I was making plans on either the Mai Kai or Chuck's Seafood in Fort Pierce for dinner (depending on finances....Chuck's was my local choice if I couldn't justify the couple hours trip and hotel room in Lauderdale). Now, Mai Kai may be out of commission and since Chucks is on the FtP inlet, and took quite a beating in 2004, and depending on how my place holds out, my finances may be on the ropes, also......Looks like it may be Mickey Dee's for B-day this year.

howlinowl

Kevin, sometimes you just gotta do and don’t look back.
Have a blast!

any word on how the Mai Kai is faring?

Looks like it made it through OK

Now for updates on everything else in Florida.

great news!!!!

The Hemingway House is unscathed. A couple trees went down on the property, but that's it. The famous six-toed cats all made it through safely.

H

Just one more. :)

Wunderbar!

Pages: 1 14 replies