Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hawaii recommendations

Pages: 1 8 replies

A friend of mine is there this week. She has asked me for bar and purchase recommendations.

Where would you drink, and are there any particular rum etc bargains you would go for that you couldn't get in Texas? (I'm based in England, uk, so have no idea where to start). Thanks!

Which island?

There are a few threads about Hawaii locations under the Tiki Travel section, try searching or just scrolling down through there.

But, as Nui asked, do you know which island she's on? There are spots worth visiting on each one, and even some locally produced rums she may not be able to get at home.

Oahu - La Mariana
Kauai - Koloa rum; good proper Mai Tai at Gaylord's; good looking Tiki Iniki whose drinks have generally been disappointing.
Maui has (at least one?) rum distillery
Big Island - there's a Don the Beachcomber in Kailua-Kona with a nice setting (though the "original Don's Mai Tai" isn't)

Thanks, I believe it's just Maui she's going to.

The travel thread is useful, thanks - I did search before posting but obviously missed it! Local rum recommendations would be great though. E

[ Edited by: Early Landed Larry 2017-09-18 00:14 ]

Hot tip for Maui from my experience -- snorkeling.
Drive past the Ritz-Carlton and you'll run into Honolua Bay which is the main go-to snorkeling bay. But, instead, immediately ahead of it you should snorkel Mokuleia Bay which is right next door and to the LEFT of Honolua Bay. It's much more vividly populated with colorful corals and colorful fish. And, seriously, in Honolua Bay, I found a car axle and differential, which could have been left over from WWII or something, lol... What I did is START in Mokuleia Bay, swam along the right side, then when uncertain about currents around the point, got out and walked over the point and jumped into adjacent Honolua Bay. Then I explored Honolua Bay and got out and walked along the road and back to Mokuleia Bay.

Honolua Bay is picturesque, and lots of people take photos from the highway down into the bay. While you can't get the same sort of view of Mokuleia Bay from any road, trust me, the snorkeling is what it's all about. Take your pics at Honolua, but enjoy the beauty underwater at Mokuleia.

I'll try to copy this into the "travel" thread. But wanted to make sure you saw it here in this thread.

Forgot to post the Google Earth link for this area:

https://earth.google.com/web/@21.01338439,-156.64165992,-2.00772978a,632.23308542d,35y,-0h,0t,0r

I think the Chrome browser is required by Google now, so FYI if you don't have Chrome as an option on your device.

Thanks all, this is great. Have passed on the recommendations.

Best drinks are at Monkeypod. The drinks at Fleetwoods are good as well. Mamas Fish House has some great food and tikis, should not be missed.

Make sure to visit Kihei for shopping. Scott has a booth there with tons of unique tiki mugs. It is located in Kalama Village Marketplace.

I wish Wailea wasn't so far from Ka'anapali Beach - I have been dying to try one of those fabled Monkeypod mai tais. We've rooftop reservations for Fleetwood's next week so we're looking forward to that.

Pages: 1 8 replies