Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-20-17 Gershwin

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: September 20, 2017

On this Wednesday’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we will celebrate the natal debut of George Gershwin, born on September 26, 1896 and who died much too young, at age 37, but not before giving us some of the most glorious music in the known and unknown universe.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Oh! Lady Be Good” by Felix Mendelssohn & His Hawaiian Serenaders from the Crazy Rhythm Hawaiian Swing, composed by George & Ira Gershwin: from the 1924 Fred & Estelle Astaire Broadway musical: Lady Be Good.

2. “Somebody Loves Me” the 1936 recording by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards With Andy Iona & His Islanders of the song by George Gershwin, Ballard MacDonald & Buddy DeSylva for the Broadway revue: George White's Scandals of 1924 from the compilatious box set With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

3. “Too Beautiful for Words,” taken from Russ Columbo: The Complete Studio Recordings, with Jimmie Grier and His Orchestra and composed by Columbo, Bernie Grossman and Jack Stern for the 1934 movie: Wake Up and Dream, with a reference in the lyrics to George Gershwin.

4. “Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away),” composed by George & Ira Gershwin & Gus Kahn and introduced in 1929 by Ruby Keeler in Florenz Ziegfeld's Broadway musical: Show Girl, taken from the collection: The Original James P. Johnson – 1942-1945 Piano Solos.

5. “Things Are Looking Up,” the 1937 recording from The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 5: 1937-1938, composed By George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire, George Burns & Gracie Allen movie: Damsel in Distress, featuring Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Cozy Cole on Drums, Walter Page on Bass and Teddy Wilson on Piano.

6. “Mine,” was written by George & Ira for the 1933 Broadway musical: Let ‘Em Eat Cake, from the CD Set: Art Tatum -- 20th Century Piano Genius, recorded in 1950 during a party at the Beverly Hills home of Warner Brothers Studios musical director and multiple Academy Award nominee & three-time winner Ray Heindorf.

7. “Slap That Bass” by George & Ira Gershwin came from the 1937 Fred Astaire movie: Shall We Dance, performed here by Susannah McCorkle on her 1985 album: How Do You Keep the Music Playing? featuring Steve LaSpina on Bass, Ben Aronov on Piano and Al Cohn on Tenor Sax. Recorded in 1985.

8. “But Not for Me,” also composed by George & Ira Gershwin came from the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, where it was sung by Ginger Rogers. This version was performed by Patti Austin on her tributary CD titled: For Ella, backed by the WDR German Orchestra arranged and conducted by Patrick Williams.

9. “They All Laughed” the George & Ira Gershwin song from the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance from the 1995 CD: Embraceable You – Chet Baker Sings and Plays, featuring David Wheat on Acoustic Guitar and Russ Savakus on Bass, recorded in 1957 but previously unreleased.

10. “How Long Has This Been Going On” performed by Johnny Hartman recorded in 1958 with the orchestra conducted by Rudy Taylor and appearing on the CD: I Love Everybody. The song was composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1928 Broadway Musical: Funny Face.

11. “Nice Work If You Can Get It (Alternate Take)” from the 1947 recording taken from Thelonious Monk/Genius of Modern Music, Volume One, including Gene Ramey on Bass and Art Blakey on Drums, written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire, George Burns & Gracie Allen movie: Damsel in Distress.

12. “The Man I Love,” The 1924 song by George & Ira Gershwin, taken from Peggy Lee -- The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection [DISC 3], with the orchestra arranged by Nelson Riddle and conducted by Frank Sinatra in 1957.

13. “Boy, What Love Has Done to Me” composed by George & Ira Gershwin and introduced By Ethel Merman in the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, from the Bill Charlap Trio’s CD: ’S Wonderful, featuring Mr. Charlap on Piano, Peter Washington on Bass and Kenny Washington on Drums.

14. “Summertime” from the 1935 opera: Porgy and Bess performed by Charlie Parker in 1949 and taken from the Four-CD Box Set: Boss Bird – Studio Recordings 1944-45, featuring Ray Brown on Bass and Buddy Rich on Drums.

15. “They Can't Take That Away From Me” recorded by Sarah Vaughan in 1954 and featured on her 1957 LP: Swingin’ Easy, written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance, including John Malachi on Piano; Joe Benjamin on Bass; and Roy Haynes on Drums.

16. “'S Wonderful” performed by Karrin Allyson from her 1993 CD: I Didn't Know About You, composed by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1927 Broadway musical and 1957 movie version of Funny Face and also used in the 1951 Gene Kelly movie: An American in Paris, featuring Joe Cartwright on Piano and Danny Embrey on Electric Guitar, with Bob Bowman on Bass and Todd Strait on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies