Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

“Tiki with Ray” Show

Pages: 1 36 replies

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2017 9:24 PM

Ray Wyland (“Tiki with Ray”) has started a YouTube show where he discusses various tiki topics with guests. I’ve enjoyed his blog for awhile, and I’m enjoying his videos, too. I bet others here might also be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMLJHygSs5IV2ET-2xBwqcg

Thanks for the head's up... I'm watching it now!

M

Nice, just subscribed

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2017 9:50 PM

He just posted another episode, this one on Disney and tiki. Not quite as interesting as previous episodes; good thing I have a Daiquiri....

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2017 11:19 PM

I’ve found most recent episodes to be so-so, but I would like to highlight two that I have enjoyed:

Episode 7: Straight-Edge Tiki

The book recommendations were especially helpful as I observed Sober October. “Kiddie Cocktails” looks really neat.

Episode 10: Elvis and Tiki

I enjoy Elvis’ “Blue Hawaii” album, and this episode has convinced me to check out the movie, as well as some of his other non-tiki albums and movies. (The only Elvis movie I’ve seen is ”It Happened at the World’s Fair.”)

H

Subscribed!

Love the “Straight-Edge” episode (used to use the term “dry” for dry drinks or a dry bar) because I personally don’t drink but I realize it is part of tiki and it is good to know I can now get closer to the FULL experience. The “Tiki Oasis” episode didn’t cover the workshops/seminars which is one of the many things I like at the Oasis. Over all some what informative and some what entertaining so the combination is great tiki infotainment. Keep it up Ray. Subscribed and recommend!

[ Edited by: creativenative 2017-11-03 09:10 ]

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2017 6:08 PM

“Episode 12: Tiki and Photography” is pretty interesting. Ray talks to Dieter, who takes most of the photos for the “Tiki with Ray” blog.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Nov 27, 2017 11:57 PM

I also enjoyed “Episode 13: Tiki In Seattle” and appreciate that it’s set in a home tiki bar.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 8:49 PM

Episode 21: Syd Thomas of Tonga Hut is pretty good (even though I couldn’t care less about their punk rock tangent...).

If you want to hear more from Syd, Adrian also interviewed him on ”Inside the Desert Oasis Room.”

[ Edited by: Hamo 2018-01-22 21:09 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 27, 2018 11:15 PM

Episode 22 with artist Tony Canepa is good. I really appreciate Tony’s tiki and jazz analogy.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2018 9:27 PM

Episodes 23 and 24 with Dawn Frasier (Sophista-Tiki) are enjoyable. I found the corduroy discussion in Part 2 especially hilarious.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 8:06 PM
H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jul 19, 2018 10:30 PM
H
Hamo posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 9:23 PM
H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 23, 2018 5:05 PM

A few recent "Tiki with Ray" videos I've enjoyed:

Episode 58: Circus Peanut Syrup! Blair Reynolds of B.G. Reynolds
This made me wish I'd gotten the Circus Peanut syrup during Blair's Kickstarter.

Episode 60: The 2nd Wave Of Tiki With Jeanie And Tom

Episode 61: Every Home Tiki Bar Is Unique

Episode 68: So You Just Got Into Tiki

Episode 70: Tiki Mug Collection Or Obsession?
This one mentions Wendy's ceramic work quite a bit.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 20, 2019 10:58 PM
BB

So I've learned 2 things after watching some back episodes. One, Ray hailed from the Coal Region in PA, and two, there is apparently still a Beachcomber Lounge down in Mount Carmel which he once frequented! (Street View) I'm not getting my hopes up, though, since the review in Tiki Road Trip describes it as a "Party Bar" and short on atmosphere. Makes me wonder if it's even worth the trip. Kinda still want to check it out though.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Mar 22, 2019 11:43 PM
H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 27, 2019 8:57 PM
H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2019 11:59 PM

Ray's just posted a fun interview with our very own Wendy that you should check out:

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 12: Wendy Cevola
https://youtu.be/yyGBNqZ9ZOc

F
FranNL posted on Thu, Jul 4, 2019 8:06 AM

On 2019-07-03 23:59, Hamo wrote:
Ray's just posted a fun interview with our very own Wendy that you should check out:

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 12: Wendy Cevola
https://youtu.be/yyGBNqZ9ZOc
[/quote

I watched this morning, really nice to see Wendy in action.

Enjoying the podcast. Still catching up on episodes. Been a great to have on while working in the studio. Cheers!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 27, 2019 9:19 PM
H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 10, 2019 9:01 PM
T

Really LIKED the Marie King interview. Thanx (-:

On 2019-12-11 13:36, Thortiki wrote:
Really LIKED the Marie King interview. Thanx (-:

saw your comment and listened to that as well... that was nice - great story.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jan 16, 2020 9:26 PM
H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jan 28, 2020 6:04 PM

See Ray's most recent video where Wendy talks about some of her Sacramento Crawl mugs, Tiki Bob, and Hot Tub Hula Girls:

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 18: Wendy Cevola And Her Tiki Mugs

tiki with ray is one of the best things on YouTube these days... :D

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 8, 2020 10:46 PM

Hear, here, Johnny Dollar!

Ray talks a bit about Tiki Central in his most recent video:

Episode 98: Tiki Media Through The Years

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 26, 2020 8:10 PM

Ray is taking an epic tiki road trip at the end of May and beginning of June.

Episode 99: Tiki Across America! The 2020 Tiki Tour

Since I'm overdue for a visit to my parents' in southwest Iowa, maybe I should plan something around his TikiCat or Laka Lono stops....

Hamo this is wonderful. Thank you for doing this for Ray and the rest of us. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 16, 2020 11:02 PM

Ray and Jason Craig have been discussing mugs from tiki bars from across the country. This might be a nice way to think about these places, especially if we can't physically visit them in the next few weeks.

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 21: Souvenir Tiki Mugs - Florida

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 22: Souvenir Tiki Mugs - California

Tiki MUGS With Ray Episode 23: Souvenir Tiki Mugs - PNW

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2022 6:23 PM

Ray has had lots of good episodes over the past two years (plus some very loose, "anything is tiki," talk recently--see the latest "Star Wars tiki club" video), but I really appreciated this one about Miguel Covarrubias' Pageant of the Pacific murals from the 1939 San Francisco World's Fair:

Tiki With Ray Episode 131: Pageant Of The Pacific Maps

You can see that latest episode in the night shots of the Makuhari Club.

I feel like Tiki is a Big Hut kind of hobby/community/subculture. While I lean more towards TC's idea of boundaries, I respect Ray's opinion (and those who share it).

I like some Disney stuff and feel with the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise, and other Adventureland stuff, I can make that work for me. In particular, I miss The Adventurers Club. And I appreciate the nods to SEA which exist in DisneySea here in Tokyo and Trader Sam's.

[ Edited by SouthSeasKat on 2022-04-27 23:52:05 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Sep 20, 2022 7:45 PM

Ray's recent interview with Otto was very good.

Tiki With Ray Live! Otto von Stroheim At Forbidden Island 9/6/2022 https://youtu.be/SkDfQCNHK8g

Pages: 1 36 replies