Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Has Anyone Come Across a Vintage Tiki Mask Necklace Like This ?

Pages: 1 22 replies

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 12:16 PM

New to Group. Hi everyone. Ive been searching high and low to find any historical perspective or just any info about this particular wood carving tiki necklace. This used to be worn in the 1950's together with a Hawaiian/tiki shirt but I have yet to discover the name for this particular type of necklace, most probable origin, and where I can possibly find one like it. The obvious thing I love about it is the fantastic expression on the mask. Ive google'd for days and never seen one remotely similar to this one. What I know for a fact is that it is vintage, and most probably mid-century.

At any rate, any heads up is cheerfully accepted.

Zu

[ Edited by: Zu 2017-09-27 12:17 ]

[ Edited by: Zu 2017-09-27 12:18 ]

[ Edited by: Zu 2017-09-27 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: Zu 2017-09-27 13:17 ]

[ Edited by: 1on1 2017-10-01 16:27 ]

Hi Zu! Welcome to TC. It's kinda hard to pin down an exact maker for your necklace. A closeup photo may help. The design does look familiar. Are your sure it's wood and not a resin or composite of some type? Sven' Book of Tiki has a couple of images of some vintage necklaces and one looks similar in style to yours. I'm sure someone here on TC may be able to shed some more light on your find. Here is the image from the Book of Tiki. Enjoy.

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 1:25 PM

Hi Uncle Tray

Wow thanks for the fast response and very helpful info..you know what? I'm not certain at all if its wood, it could very well be a composite/resin as you suggested. I wonder how impossible they are to find.. ive checked the usual online auction sites but there is nothing that comes close.

Perhaps posting an ad somewhere may be the only option. BTW The ad you sent me, do you know from what period its from ?

I'm feeling good about this inquiry already :)

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 1:26 PM

btw the photo gets blurred if I enlarge it but I will try to resend a bigger one..

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 1:34 PM

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 1:36 PM

I'm afraid its the best I can do without distorting the photo too much..

If I had to guess the age of the ad I would say the late 60s but maybe Sven could chime in with some more info on the ad. If it is resin it is most likely a mass produced piece so they are out there for sure. They are not super rare and do show up from time to time. The most collected moai necklaces are from the famous Kahiki restaurant.

T

I've got a couple of this exact style except they're made out of a terracotta type of clay. I'd have to dig them out and take a photo if you're interested.

I'd like a look for sure

Z
Zu posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 2:17 PM

Hi Greg

Yes indeed I would, thankyou. I have to admit I dont really know how terracotta clay looks like, is it similar to the one in question ?

C

One the right is a repro I bought a few years ago, made of terra cotta clay. The one on the left is a vintage keychain/lipstick holder. The lipstick was gone when I found it.

T

I guess I only have one left, which I had modified. It looks like the one above on the right. If you're interested, I can send it your way. Just pm me.

Here's my set of 5
Got them all at once
The necklaces basically fell apart to the touch

Z
Zu posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2017 3:54 PM

Ah-mazing pieces!! Are they original vintage 60's btw ? What is the material do you know ? Are any of them are due for early retirement anytime soon hehe?

thanks for sharing your lovley collection.

H

I have an old Coco Joe one, heres the picture.

Zu- not sure of age, but look old
Wood for sure
Not able to retire, gift from spousal unit
Hilt- never seen that 1

Great to see the vintage styles.

H

Ooh I think I found the exact one in the original picture, this one is not resin but feels like chalk and looks like it.

Z
Zu posted on Fri, Sep 29, 2017 2:26 PM

Yet another lovely piece. Thanks for sharing.

T

Here are our two we bought at a store in Haleiwa North shore Hawaii on our honeymoon 21 years ago, we went back last year and the store owner asked where we got them from and we said "here!" she remembered them and said she wish she had more, We Love them our Favourite tiki necklace and always get lots of comments

On 2017-09-28 15:27, hang10tiki wrote:

Do those have a mark like a Christian fish on them?

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2017-10-01 08:53 ]

Buzzzzz- no markings sir

Pages: 1 22 replies