Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Coupe glass recommendations

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

I'm going to start expanding my glassware, and the first I'm going to turn my attention to is getting some coupe glasses. I've done some googling, but I don't see any fun themed coupe glasses out there. Does anyone know of any? They don't have to be tiki, but I'm looking to see if I can find anything more interesting than a plain coupe glass.

[ Edited by: scottxwl 2017-09-29 09:55 ]

On 2017-09-29 09:50, scottxwl wrote:
I'm going to start expanding my glassware, and the first I'm going to turn my attention to is getting some coupe glasses. I've done some googling, but I don't see any fun themed coupe glasses out there. Does anyone know of any? They don't have to be tiki, but I'm looking to see if I can find anything more interesting than a plain coupe glass.

[ Edited by: scottxwl 2017-09-29 09:55 ]

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I get mine from the Salvation Army for $0.25.

S

i just hit thrift stores / antique malls as well - i have enough of a collection of coupe glasses that now i only pick up the really unique ones - you'll be able to get them really cheap, especially if you don't mind mismatched sets

U

You might try to find some with hollow stems

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Sep 29, 2017 5:07 PM

What Steve said. If it isn’t an issue that your glasses don’t match, then thrift stores and flea markets are the way to go. The biggest disadvantage for me to not having identical glasses is I can’t make more than one “up” drink at a time and easily pour them equally into multiple glasses, but it’s only a slight inconvenience. Something else to consider is that older cocktail glasses tend to hold 4-5 ounces, instead of the enormous 8-10 oz ones sold now. Three-ounce cocktails are just about the right amount anyway; you can enjoy two or three cocktails without ending up under the table.

I do have three of these “bamboo” style couples (pictured), which I like. They might be by Libbey.

One style I don’t have (yet) is the Nick and Nora, named for the cocktail glasses used by William Powell’s and Myrna Loy’s characters in “The Thin Man.” They have an elegant, “deco” look about them.

[ Edited by: Hamo 2017-09-29 17:10 ]

I'd love to drink from those old Trader Vic's coupe's with the amber totem stems but that's not going to happen at the current prices. http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=647

These are not fun or themed so not really what you are looking for. However they are well made and functional and have become my favorite glasses for up cocktails :

http://a.co/gjZAV7M

The glasses are pretty spill resistant. They are sized so that a typical 2.5 - 3 oz cocktail will sit about 1 cm below the rim and they tilt in a bit on the sides which helps keep the drink in the glass. Also the stems are moderately short giving the glass a lower center of gravity. You don't have to walk like a ninja when carrying a cocktail!

They are high quality. They ring like a quality wine glass. The lip of the glass is very thin which I find pleasing to drink from yet the glass is very strong. There are no edge chips of any kind after owning a set of these for several years and they've had a lot of ice tossed in them and suffered other abuse.

I like the style. They're slightly unique, but they're certainly not fun or themed.

S

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Not quite what I was hoping for, but you've given me things to think about.

I have a good collection of coupe glasses, all from thrift stores. You can get matching glasses at the larger stores, as there are a number of designs which seem to have been quite popular. As was pointed out earlier, the depth and capacity vary greatly. I serve a number of classic small-volume drinks for which a coupe glass, or a hard-to-find Nick & Nora glass, is ideal.

"Tiki" coupe glasses? I have not seen any personally, although I do recall some sold online with palm tree trunk stems.

Coupe glasses could be decorated by wrapping something around the stem like a bamboo leaf, a ti leaf, or a number of other organic materials. Even a small strip of cool tapa cloth, or a piece of tropical-themed fabric from an old and un-wearable aloha shirt may work.

Pages: 1 7 replies