Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

TIKI TYPES?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Does anyone have a working list of the different types of tikis and their main characteristics that they could share? Something simple, like:
Ku: War God, etc.
I am a painter and printmaker and have been interested in the retro - lounge culture for a few years but only recently have started to make images specific to Tiki. I recently listed a linocut print on eBay and will be selling more in the future. Here is a link to the closed auction if any would care to see the image:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3544045531&category=20158&rd=1

If anyone wishes to know more about my prints or printmaking in general feel free to email me. Thanks to all for any info you may submit on the TIKI TYPES question!

Hey! I didn't order a first post Spam wrapped in a question!

oh brother have you stepped into it now! I know from doing research on tiki for my fanzine, that this is hard to answer. Why? because when you say tiki you are dealing with all of polynesian cultures... samoan, hawaiian, tahitian etc. And to further confuse things, the legends of their gods tend to overlap each other, some say this or that detail, some don't, some gods go under the same names but mean a different god to that culture (tonguroa for instance, isnt necessarily the father of all gods and goddeses, and sometimes even looks like a giant octopus or squid). Its very indepth research.. trust me. It may be better if you stick to one certain polynesian culture for a given project, and use only that mythos for that project. If I can remember the names of some of the books I used for research I will come back and post them.
Nice art by the way, I like the way you do the woodblock sort of style, and the background is a nice touch! :)

K

I have been interested in this information too. Perhaps the carvers, decal makers, and artists of TC could help. Maybe post an image of a Tiki (from a book, illustration, the net, or one you actually carved or created) along with it's origin, and symbolism/significance to it's culture.

You must be related to sailor moon

Aloha,
You can check out my Web site http://www.tikimaster.com under Hawaiian Tikis or the best is to buy the book Hawaiian Mythology...everything you need to know about the meaning of the Hawaiian Tikis.

Hope this helps!
A Hui Ho,
TikiMaster

tikiMaster, you talking about the book by Martha Beckwith?

That is correct!

Aloha,
~TikiMaster.

Tonguroa Tigertail...thanks for the information. Can you say more about your fanzine? And if you can scrounge up a pic of tonguroa looking like a squid or octopus I would love to see that. Also, TikiMaster thanks for sharing your wisdom. I'll get a copy of the book you recommend. I visited your website and you've got some great tikis to offer. Beautifully designed and the deep carving is superb. The tattoo tikis are !!!

More testing .... please ignore

Another test to ignore.

OK sailor lee, there is another thread on my fanzine in this section, but I will give ya some of the low down here... the fanzine is an audio fanzine on cd that you listen to instead of read. There are 2 discs that come in a cardboard folder, the folder has quite a few "pop up book" type surprises ... for instance you pull a tab on the side, and the tiki pole on the cover moves its mouths and eyes. Now the cd's have tons of historical info: the first cd is all on the california tiki room at Disneyland, the second cd is all about the original Walt Disney World tiki room. I have interviews with cast members telling humerous stories, and sound bytes from the atraction layered with people's memories, a copy of the original 1932 recording of "lets all sing like the birdies sing" (nearly impossible to track down), a maintenance tech telling in minute detail how the original show worked (practical every nut and bolt LOL), and much more! Lots of surprises, and I dont want to give it all away. I put auctions up on ebay from time to time, just type in "tiki room fanzine" and you'll find it, or you can order directly from me. Trust me its a real labor of love I spent nearly a year getting it all together! I beleive my e-mail is in my profile. Hope that answers all yer questions.. if not grill me some more. LOL :tiki: :drink:

K

If anyone wants to know about New Zealand tikis, let me know. I should be able to help you there. :)

[email protected]

Pages: 1 12 replies