Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Advice Please: Dick Dale Live...Worth it?

Pages: 1 7 replies

W

Dick Dale's coming to town, $15 (plus fees, of course), on a school night...Is his live show good? Great? Should I just buy some CDs instead?

I've seen Dick Dale shows in which I was transported to another world, they were so good. Then he went through his Native American spiritual phase, which frankly kinda bored me. Since then he's gone back to the good stuff, and I've loved the shows again.

So your odds are good!

S

I saw him in Portland about five years ago. Awesome. If you go, let us know if you thought it was worth it.

B

Of course, the instrumental stylings of Dick Dale are nothing short of amazing and must be seen live. (You'll be proud to tell your grandchildren.) This may eventually lead to singing as the show goes on however, but you'll know what to do...hey, you said it was a school night anyway.

Go and enjoy the surf guitar!

Go see him. He is a legend. If Dusty Watson is drummin for him, which he usually does, the show will be awesome.
15 clams is a deal.
Chongolio

He was a regular on the Bay Area nightclub circuit years ago, and I caught him a couple times, usually with a local surf band like the Ultras opening up for him. He is a lightning bolt of cosmic musical energy. This was like ten years ago, maybe less, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who plans on slowing down any before he's, say, 80. I would definitely jump on any chance to see him live because while he's very energetic and rocks as hard as ever, he's no spring chicken, and musicians have a notorious habit of suddenly dropping dead on us before they collect any social security(Barry White being the most recent example.)I don't say that to jinx Dick, but hey, my wife and I missed Mel Torme once when he was in town and then suddenly he was gone and now we're kicking ourselves. See the old school legends in person while you can, by all means. Oh, he calls his followers "Dickheads" (as opposed to Grateful Dead groupies). Be a Dickhead!

He actually melts picks too!! Serious!!

Arrrrrrrr!!!

Go! Go! Go! A night to remember! He rocks as hard as the night is long! Terrific live show!

Pages: 1 7 replies