Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

TulTiki home bar build

Pages: 1 13 replies

S

today is the day! ground was broken on my home bar / pub shed - it will probably take 6-8 months, but this is a good strong start - originally i had wanted to do shipping containers, but the cost was more than conventional in my part of the country - plus i have a lot of trade out built with a construction company - so i'm going to match exterior look of my house then go full tiki inside

H
Heath posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2017 1:55 PM

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, no footing for the block?
Is that common where you are?

S

we dug down and did a concrete footing

H
Heath posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2017 2:04 PM

Sorry, I'm not used to such a clean foundation.
I'm much more used to seeing overpour and concrete everywhere.
Nice job and it looks like it's going to be a pretty decent sized bar when all is said and done.

S

going to be 12x16 - we mixed bags really close to the trenches - set a 4" PVC sleeve under footing in center of each wall so we could run water and electric in and do a drywell out for greywater

8T

That's a great thing you got started there. I look forward to your updates. Hope the weather cooperates for your plans.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2017 12:01 AM

Needs more tikis. :)

GROG funny.

Looking forward to seeing this develop. But goodness, it's chilly way down here, so I'm wondering how much the weather's going to cooperate and allow any build progress these next few months.

And is that a beehive in the background? Fresh honey syrup! Homebrew mead!

T

Best of luck with your project...will be exciting to watch it come together!

As for the weather, as long as it's not snowing or raining you'll be fine. It looks like your concrete work is done, and framing and sheathing goes up quick. Throw some housewrap up and it can sit until you're ready (and it's warm enough) to paint siding.

Nothing quite like swinging a hammer to keep you warm. :)

[ Edited by: tikitube 2017-11-22 07:35 ]

H

Good luck! We lucked into this set up with our place, it just took us ten years to figure out what we wanted was a Tiki Hut!

B

S

On 2017-11-22 06:55, Prikli Pear wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this develop. But goodness, it's chilly way down here, so I'm wondering how much the weather's going to cooperate and allow any build progress these next few months.

And is that a beehive in the background? Fresh honey syrup! Homebrew mead!

it hasn't been too bad here - 50's mostly - mead is on the agenda - should get my first batch of honey next spring!

On 2017-11-24 13:54, stevekh wrote:
it hasn't been too bad here - 50's mostly - mead is on the agenda - should get my first batch of honey next spring!

Have you made mead before? It's definitely different than homebrewing ale. If you ferment it at warm, ale-friendly temperatures, fusel alcohols form that make it taste really harsh. I finally solved that problem with a water/ice bath and evaporative cooling. I also have discovered the wonders of Wyeast 1388, which is a high-gravity Belgian beer yeast capable of producing excellent mead if fed properly. Check out the Bray's One Month Mead at Home Brew Forums for more info.

S

On 2017-11-24 20:36, Prikli Pear wrote:

On 2017-11-24 13:54, stevekh wrote:

Have you made mead before? It's definitely different than homebrewing ale. If you ferment it at warm, ale-friendly temperatures, fusel alcohols form that make it taste really harsh. I finally solved that problem with a water/ice bath and evaporative cooling. I also have discovered the wonders of Wyeast 1388, which is a high-gravity Belgian beer yeast capable of producing excellent mead if fed properly. Check out the Bray's One Month Mead at Home Brew Forums for more info.

i've made it a few times - i've gotten to where i just water the honey down with a distilled water, then pitch the yeast - don't heat it at all as heat can make the honey lose a lot of it's nuances - i typically age it a year with some light char oak pieces after primary fermentation, then run it through my clarifier - turns out more like a port or a wine - been using a hefeweizen yeast as the byproduct of it (banana notes, bubblegum notes) work awesome with the honey - as far as the harsh flavor, i know a lot of people add campden tablets to stop fermentation, then back sweeten with more honey, but i like the simplicity and flavor and viscosity of the way i've been doing it

Pages: 1 13 replies