Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-3-18 Pop & Exotica

Pages: 1 2 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge January 3, 2018

On this Wednesday’s show we once again engaged in an organic exploration of pop and exotica music in all its gathered glory.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Let's Go for Broke,” the 1935 recording by Andy Iona & The Islanders from the collection: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36, featuring Iona on Lap Steel Guitar.

2. “Slack Key Music Box” was performed by the Slack-Key Guitar Master Keola Beamer on his 1995 illusory album: Moe’uhane Kika – Tales From the Dream Guitar.

3. “Pineapple Express” was vocalized by the distaff trio Na Leo on their sensuous CD: Where I Live There Are Rainbows. The full name of this vocal group – Na Leo Pilimehana – means “voices blending together in warmth,” and its members are Angela Morales Nalani Choy and Lehua Kalima Heine.

4. “Kaulana Kaui” was sung by Kwai Cockett and is daringly derived from the anachronistic anthology: Tower Records Presents Hawaii’s Favorites.

5. “Quiet Village,” the 1951 composition by Les Baxter, was performed by the Vibes master and bandleader on his loquacious LP: Taboo – The Greatest Hits of Arthur Lyman -- The Sensual Sounds of Exotica, recorded at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome, Honolulu.

6. “Aloha, Baby!” by The Tikiyaki Orchestra from their ultimate CD of the same name, featuring Marty Lush on Vibes; Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar; Brian Kassan on Organ and Jim Bacchi on Guitar.

7. “I'm Beginning to See the Light,” the song composed in 1944 by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges and Harry James, recorded in 1998 by Lyle Ritz on his CD: Time – Ukulele Jazz With Bass, Drums and Percussion, featuring Byron Yasui on Bass and Noel Okimoto on Vibes, Drums & Percussion.

8. “Pua Mamone” was performed by George Helm and is featured on the copacetic compilation: Rough Guide to the Music of Hawaii/Slide and Slack Key Surfing Sounds.

9. “Donde Estas, Yolanda?” was composed by Manuel Jiminez and performed by the Portland. Oregon, conglomeration Pink Martini on their empathetical compact disc: Sympathique, featuring Pepe Raphael on Vocal.

10. The Gary McFarland tune: “Fried Bananas” appears on the 1967 TV LP: Benny Golson: Tune In, Turn On – To the Hippest Commercials of the Sixties, featuring Mr. Golson on Tenor Sax, James Tyrell on Bass, Bernard Purdie on Drums and Warren Smith on Percussion.

11. “Angelina” was waxed by the English Trumpeter and Band Leader Eddie Calvert in 1959 and is drawn with swizzle sticks from the historical document: Popcorn Exotica – R&B, Soul & Exotic Rockers From the ‘50s & ‘60s.

12. “Lord, What a Morning” was performed in 1963 by Les Baxter and His Orchestra. Composed by band member Mike Clough, it appeared on the lithesome LP: The Soul of the Drums.

13. “Topsy,” the timely tune written by Eddie Durham and Edgar Battle was performed by the Joe Bucci Trio on their 1962 tributory LP: Wild About Basie.

14. “Cachita,” composed by Rafael Hernandez, appears on the early 1960s auspicious album: Music From a Sparkling Planet, by the Mexican composer and arranger Juan Garcia Esquivel and his Orchestra and Chorus, featuring vocals by Monette Malvar, Pennni Prior, Yvonne De Bourbon, Maria Caruso, Carolyne Day, Delia Lee and Anna Sumi.

15. The Eddie Cano composition “Drumerama” comes from 1957 LP by Pete Rugolo and His Orchestra titled: Percussion at Work, which was used to demonstrate hifi equipment in electronic stores: featuring Andre Previn on Piano, Larry Bunker on Vibes, Xylophone and Tympani, Laurindo Almeida on Guitar, Joe Mondragon on Bass, Shelly Manne on Drums and Tympani, Mel Lewis on Drums; and Jack Costanzo on Bongos and Vocal.

16. “The Sound of the Sea Surrounds Me” and “Diamond Head” by The Brothers Cazimero from their CD also named: The Sound of the Sea Surrounds Me.

T

Hey, have you ever thought of archiving recordings of your broadcasts someplace online like Mixcloud? Your playlists are full of wonderful material, but I can rarely catch the show live, and I would imagine I'm not alone!

[ Edited by: tikitube 2018-01-04 13:21 ]

I recently discussed that possibility with the Radio Fairfax station manager after a fan in France suggested that I post my programs on Youtube. As I pretty much guessed she would say, because I am using copyrighted material, my programs would be taken down very quickly. Paying the royalties through RIAA is so complicated and expensive to be rendered impossible. Radio Fairfax doesn't archive shows for the same reason. I chose this station because for a small annual membership fee (currently $26 a year), they take care of all of the royalty expenses stemming from my broadcasts. As a public access station they enjoy the same status as public radio in that regard. Thanks for the kind thought, though.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2018-01-24 16:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies