Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

How early is too early for juicing before a party?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi,

Have a party this weekend for about 30 friends... we do this about every 6 months. Usually, I juice everything about 4 hours before the party, store everything in plastic bottles and keep in fridge prior to party.

This time, I've got some logistics challenges with time and some guests I need to entertain prior to the start of the party. So I'm thinking about juicing in the morning, about 9 hours prior to the party.

Anyone done that far in advance? Any tips to make sure everything will be ok once the party time rolls around?

Thanks!

T

I juice limes and freeze them all the time.
They can last a month or more.

Do small batches and take some out and leave some frozen till use.
I even put fresh lime juice in old leftover ice pop stick bags tape and freeze, Well I have a vac u seal thing so it's a bit better.

Freeze those in 2 oz portions.

good luck.

Our house rule is: Same Day = Okay. Sometimes you gotta juice early....

9 hours ahead, if refrigerated, is not much of a problem. BUT - as Skip pointed out - exposure to oxygen is a potential flavor reducer. So remove as much air as you can (by filling bottles to the top, or by using plastic bags or VacuSeal stuff) and you'll be doing the best you can from the standpoint of "science."

Or fill the containers with an inert gas (CO2, nitrogen) ahead of refrigeration if you have that sort of thing handy. (For my vermouths, they ALWAYS go back into the fridge with a squirt of CO2 from a small handheld bicycle tire inflator that I modified with a nozzle and short hose.)

My frozen juices are wrapped tight in plastic wrap and stored in small 1-pint containers to reduce exposure.

Realistically, though, with 9 hours, you don't have much to worry about if you squeeze and refrigerate promptly with reasonably reduced amounts of air in the containers.

I realize here, again, that we can be a nerdy but fun bunch. I hope your event turns out great!

On 2018-01-25 07:11, AceExplorer wrote:
I realize here, again, that we can be a nerdy but fun bunch. I hope your event turns out great!

Thank you for all the advice - this is the nerdy but fun stuff that I love, so I appreciate all the words.

I'll definitely be taking pictures, as we've fairly converted our rented apartment into a solid little tiki bar. We should own stock in 3M for the amount of command strips and other, non-wall-damaging items we've gotten to hang all the abaca cloth, bac bac for the bar wrap, and other random odds and ends.

Been a lot of fun (and a tremendous amount of work) this time to set things up, but it will be worth it.

Just trying to figure out how far in advance is too far - so thank you all!

So the next question is how soon before the party should the host start getting juiced?

On 2018-01-25 15:33, TikiHardBop wrote:
So the next question is how soon before the party should the host start getting juiced?

Excellent question! A good host would do some "quality assurance testing" ahead of the party, especially if you're expecting a crowd, so.....

Pages: 1 6 replies