Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Trader Jack's Backyard Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 4 replies

New member here, but a long-time lurker. I’d had issues with registering as a member and finally contacted the administrators, who helped me out in very short order. Anyway, I thought I’d share my backyard tiki bar, which I built about two years ago and which has been evolving ever since. The basic plan is based on a lean-to style I found on Popular Mechanics, modified to suit my needs as a stand-alone structure. I bumped out my existing deck to create the space for the bar and beefed up the structure with Simpson Strong-Tie connectors. Here’s the completed framework:

And with the roof and back wall installed…

Now the bar has been installed and a neat little hatch added for character:

a7fc41c.jpg[/img]

And the first iteration of Trader Jack’s was complete!

I soon realized I needed more surface area to mount shelves and hang wall ornaments, so I installed some simple paneling on the back wall to accommodate this need. I’ve added quite a bit to it over the past year and a half, using the posts here or inspiration, as well as Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto at Disney World. Here’s how things are currently:

It's definitely a work in progress and it has been a lot of fun. Thanks for checking it out. Cheers!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 10, 2018 9:10 PM

Welcome! Love your bar. Please share more closeup pictures so we can really appreciate some of the details.

Glad to have you here! Looks like a darn sturdy construction you've got there--that bar's bones are solid. I agree with Hamo, please give us more closeup images we can savor!

Hamo and Prikli Pear - thanks for the warm welcome and you interest. As requested, here are some close-up photos with more detail. My mug collection is certainly nothing to write home about, but I’ve managed to gather a collection of other interesting artifacts from thrift stores, gifts from friends and family, and the Straw Market in Nassau Bahamas.

I’ve had to put foam inserts in all of my mugs because we have tree frogs around here that love to hang out in them and use Them as porto-potties.

One item I’m particularly fond of is this family tree my wife made. It’s a blatant rip-off of one we saw at Disney’s Trader Sam’s but she did a great job with it.

And here are the rest. Hope you enjoy,

[ Edited by: rgordo1147 2018-02-11 16:52 ]

That's what I'm talking about! The Family Tree is great--doesn't matter where you got the inspiration from, your wife owned it. Love the sea turtle. Love the tree frogs--just think of them as adding authenticity. :wink:

Pages: 1 4 replies