Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Bathrooms --- The Bahi Hut is getting new ones

Pages: 1 16 replies

R

The one thing that DOES need changed at the Bahi Hut is the bathrooms. They are sad. They are being gutted soon and new bathrooms installed. They are small so we can't do a Mai Kai treatment to them, but we'd like to do some decorating in there. What are some good bathroom ideas we could incorporate?

I've no idea what they're like now (I can imagine) but first off I'd recommend easy cleaning and maintenance. Bare concrete floors that are etched and stained for a warm, Earth-toned tropical feel, then sealed, for obvious reasons. Maybe wainscotting of PVC faux-bamboo, again, for obvious reasons. I worked in a moderately upscale restaurant throughout my high school years, and even there I had to clean up some truly wretched stuff.

On 2018-02-16 07:05, Prikli Pear wrote:
...then sealed, for obvious reasons.

Yes, sealed, definitely, we all know how we can be, hahaha!

H

I always liked the Purple Orchid ladies bathroom. They took apart Sven's Book of tiki and put all the pictures up on the walls. You can use any tiki pictures. Here's a picture I found on TC. The lighting was much dimmer inside.

H
Hearn posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2018 9:32 AM

Make it fun and memorable with humorous signage. "Tikify" it if possible.

H

Here's a few bathroom selfies of Tiki chippy off of Instagram. First one is Trader Sam's and second Royal Hawaiian. hehe

Tropical or earthtone tiles would work well. If I lived closer I could come do a mosaic :wink:

You can add a few "Tiki" elements into a wall of commercial tile for a reasonable cost

T

Not tiki but the best start to this remodel would be to ask 2 or 3 plumbers what are the best and worst bathroom fixtures to buy to replace old ones, that is if you do replace the old fixtures.

I know a plumber that HATES Moen as they are hard / costly to fix.

That hard teak wood may be a good trim to use as it's not painted and will stand up to abuse.
And unlike bamboo or PVC it does not crate as much of a home for say roaches in the cavities in things like bamboo.

If you do use Bamboo boric acid dusted on the inside of the bamboo will help kill roaches and other bugs that may come by in the future.

Doors that you can open from the outside as in with a key are good in case some nut job locks themselves in the bathroom and won't come out.
This happened to us, and we sold no booze.

TD

I'd put money into lighting over wall coverings. A really cool tiki bar will have the same ambient light level in the bathroom as in the bar - plus a little extra white light near the mirror. A work light with a hidden switch is a must. Of course, if the bar is bright as hell then it doesn't matter what's going on in the bathroom.

Push-button locks enable single-handed drunken door closure.

I will echo what Hearn mentioned with getting a clamshell sink. I've seen them at several tiki locations and I always admire them as a nice touch.

And I'm sure you've reached out to LuRu over on the other coast. She does amazing custom tile work.

N

On 2018-02-16 09:32, hiltiki wrote:
I always liked the Purple Orchid ladies bathroom. They took apart Sven's Book of tiki and put all the pictures up on the walls. You can use any tiki pictures. Here's a picture I found on TC. The lighting was much dimmer inside.

that blue and white tile though.......

I loved the bathrooms at Vancouver's Shameful Tiki Room. I figured I could find some bathroom selfies that had been geotagged there on Instagram to show you what they look like, but there were surprisingly very few! It's basically record covers or tiki/Hawaiian artwork in long bamboo frames.
They also have Crazy Al's tiki light switch covers in their bathrooms, it was the first place I had seen them and after that I had to buy one for my tiki room! http://tikimania.com/store/light-switch-plates/
Here's the instagram photos I could find.. selfie blurred to protect the innocent.

*On 2018-02-17 13:41, nomeus wrote:*that blue and white tile though.......

They clearly need more posters.

Over the past few years as friends reached a few of those milestone years I've been giving out as presents framed LPs from the year of their birth. There are a number of 1954 "pacific" titles, both LP and 10", available on Discogs for real cheap that would look good framed and sealed in a small room.

btw again a doff of the cap for taking on this project and the progress so far.

Pages: 1 16 replies