Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-21-18 Birthdays

Pages: 1 4 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge: February 21, 2018

On today’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we celebrated some of the musical artists who were born in the fabulantastic month of February.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Barefoot on the Range” was composed and played by our Birthday Celebrant and slack-key guitar master Keola Beamer on his scintillacious CD: Mauna Kea – White Mountain Journal.

2. “Fire Down Below,” was composed by Milton Leeds and Ned Washington for the 1957 movie of the same name and this version was recorded in 1955 at the Henry J. Kaiser Aluminum Geodesic Dome, Honolulu, by our Natal Notable Arthur Lyman, appearing on his loquacious LP: The Legend of Pele.

3. “Honeysuckle Rose,” the 1928 classic written by Fats Waller and Andy Razaf, was sung in 1935 by our Birthday Girl on her imbibulous anthology: Mildred Bailey – Cocktail Hour Series, featuring Teddy Wilson on Piano, Bunny Berigan on Trumpet, Johnny Hodges on Alto Sax and Grachan Moncur on Bass

4. “Sugar Blues,” the 1920 song by Clarence Williams and Lucy Fletcher, was recorded live on radio by our Birthday Boy, the drummer and bandleader Chick Webb and is lovingly lifted from his fond look back titled: Standing Tall. Recorded in 1939 from a live radio broadcast featuring a 22-year-old Ella Fitzgerald.

5. “Bottom's Up” was delightfully drained on the bebop bound box set: The Illinois Jacquet Story. Waxed in 1945 by the Tenor Saxist Illinois Jacquet, this cut also features our Birthday Celebrant: Bill Doggett on Piano, Russell Jacquet on Trumpet, John Brown on Alto Sax, Arthur Dennis on Baritone Sax, Ulysses Livingston on Guitar, a very young Charles Mingus on Bass and Al Wichard on Drums.

6. “Looking for a Boy” was composed by George and Ira Gershwin, laid down in 1946 by Benny Carter & His Orchestra, spotlighting the talents of Maxine Sullivan Vocal, with Mr. Carter on Alto Sax and our February Birthday Boy Dexter Gordon on Tenor Sax, taken from the bulging box set: Benny Carter – The Music Master.

7. “I Was Doing All Right” was written by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 movie: The Goldwyn Follies, and was sung by Carmen McRae on her 1956 azurial LP: Blue Moon, backed by our Natal Notable, the Pianist Tadd Dameron and His Orchestra.

8. The Benny Goodman composition “A Smooth One” was performed in 1959 for the fogsome album Back in Town by Mel Torme and the Mel-Tones, featuring our Birthday Boy Joe Mondragon on Bass, Art Pepper on Alto Sax, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet; Barney Kessel, Tommy Tedesco, Bobby Gibbons, Tony Rizzi, and Bill Pittman on Electric Guitars, arranger Marty Paich on Piano, Victor Feldman on Xylophone and Mel Lewis on Drums.

9. “Old Devil Moon” was composed by our Natal Notable Burton Lane and E.Y. “Yip” Harburg for the 1947 Broadway musical: Finian’s Rainbow, and is drawn with swizzle sticks from the 1956 LP: Devil May Care by singer and pianist Bob Dorough with the able assistance of Warren Fitzgerald on Trumpet, Jack Hitchcock on Vibes, Bill Takas on Bass and Jerry Segal on Drums.

10. “My Baby Just Cares for Me,” inked by Gus Kahn and Walter Davidson for the 1930 movie version of the 1928 Ziegfeld Broadway musical comedy: whoopee! and it was sung by our Birthday Girl Nina Simone on her righteous retrospective on the Compact Jazz series, accompanying herself on Piano.

11. “If I Could Be With You (One Hour Tonight),” the 1926 song by our Birthday Celebrant James P. Johnson and Harry Creamer, was sung by a very young Mark Murphy on his 1957 labial LP: Let Yourself Go, arranged and conducted by Ralph Burns.

12. “My Sweet Thing” was composed by our Birthday Girl, the singer Nancy Wilson, with help from Teddy Edwards and arranger and conductor Gerald Wilson, for her 1964 historical document: Yesterday's Love Songs Today's Blues, with Jack Wilson on Piano, Wild Bill Davis on Organ, Joe Pass on Electric Guitar, Jimmy Bond on Bass and Kenny Dennis on Drums.

13. “I'll Be Around,” the 1942 song written by our Natal Notable Alec Wilder, was assayed by the singer Tierney Sutton on her admiring album: Dancing in The Dark – Inspired by the Music of Frank Sinatra, with the orchestra arranged and conducted by Christian Jacobs, who also appears on Piano along with Trey Henry on Bass and Ray Brinker on Drums.

14. “Soul Sauce (Guachi Guaro)” composed by Dizzy Gillespie and the famed congas genius Chano Pozo, was waxed by Vibes Master Cal Tjader on his 1964 landmark LP: Soul Sauce, featuring our Birthday Boy Willie Bobo on Vocal and Percussion, Lonnie Hewitt on Piano, John Hillard on Bass, Johnny Rae on Drums, and Amonado Peraza and Alberto Valdes on Percussion.

15. The song “Caboclo Uburantan” was sung and performed on Piano by our Birthday Celebrant Sergio Mendes in 1972, backed by Oscar Castro-Neves on Acoustic Guitars, Sebastian Neto on Bass, Claudio Sion on Drums, Rubens Bassini on Timbales and Percussion, Airto on Percussion and Laudir Soares De Oliveira on Conga drums, and appears on the cornucopious compilation: Bossa Jazz.

16. “That Old Black Magic” was composed by our February Birthday Boy Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the 1942 movie: Star Spangled Rhythm, and is drawn with tongs from the 1955 academical effort: Bobby Troup Sings Troup, Mercer and More, with Mr. Troup on Piano, Bob Enevoldsen on Valve Trombone, Howard Roberts on Electric Guitar, Red Mitchell on Bass and Don Heath on Drums.

Is anyone recording/saving these shows? I cannot listen to them when they are on the air mostly because my attentional capabilities are deficient. I need for them to be available at other times.

T

Yep, he's just started posting them on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

Thank you tikitube!

That was my first time listening to Dr. Zarkov.

Pages: 1 4 replies