Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Our Enchanted Tiki Kitchen

Pages: 1 8 replies

I mentioned in the declining Tiki thread that I was bit embarrassed to post photos of our kitchen in our rental four-plex, since it's less of a Tiki theme and more of a "place we put our Tiki stuff". But hey, I might as well take the plunge, for the sake of board content :wink: Please excuse the white walls and popcorn ceiling. There's some things we just have to live with.

The overall view, looking away from the messy counter. The two canvas prints show off my 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Disney pin collection...

Our fish, Tangaroa...

Our main inspirations are Disneyland and mermaids, since that's pretty well where our love of Tiki originated...

The hippo cookie jar was picked up as a throwback to the Jungle Cruise, and the Dole Whip trinket box holds Tangaroa's food. He's as excited about Dole Whips as I am...

Wall o' Shag Disneyland postcards...

There's just enough room above the cabinets to hold our Tiki mug collection (and some plants and nautical ephemera)...

I've been thinking about get a jute rope net to tie around this lamp to make it more like a float, but just haven't gotten around to it yet...

We've kind of maxed out what we're allowed to get away with. No thatch walls or ceiling or anything. The limited mug space helps us keep down our mug collection to something manageable as well. We're also slowly changing out our kitchen utensils for those ones that look like plants.

Anyways, yeah, there we go. Nothing dramatic, but it's ours...

It really does suck living in the land of no tiki...I live in St. Albert (Edmonton), so I feel your pain. Although I know there are places in Canada with less tiki, so there's that. :)

I like your tiki kitchen. I contain mine to a room because I'm not brave enough to have the whole place on display. I really like that blue mermaid; she's delish. I never thought of putting mugs above the cupboards. Perhaps when I'm done the bar, I'll branch out.

Tangaroa is a nice touch. I'd kill anything living, so fake plants and things are my friends. You could net the lamp shade and change the bulb colour. That might be a fun touch. Tiki on in Calgary!

M

Another Canadian here! (Central Canada) It's SO tough finding anything tiki here. Looks like you have some nice pieces. With our harsh climate, it's nice to infuse tiki into any room. I like what you've done with the kitchen.

Thanks! It's good to commiserate with fellow snowbound Canucks :)

On 2018-02-25 18:46, Piddersthecat wrote:
It really does suck living in the land of no tiki...I live in St. Albert (Edmonton), so I feel your pain. Although I know there are places in Canada with less tiki, so there's that. :)

At least you've got a place to buy mugs! Every time I go up to Edmonton I make sure to stop in at Whyte Knight. They usually have a decent selection (It's where I got my Armada Geddon bowl and Connoisseur mug). Occasionally the Rockabilly store beneath them has stuff too.

Tangaroa is a nice touch. I'd kill anything living, so fake plants and things are my friends. You could net the lamp shade and change the bulb colour. That might be a fun touch. Tiki on in Calgary!

Plants don't last long in our place, but Tangaroa's been going strong for well over a year now. I think he'll survive past the regular lifespan of a betta anyways, just out of sheer cussedness.

Thanks for sharing! You've done well given your constraints, and I very much like your collection. The Creature and Kraken mugs are high on my must-get lists. Very nice wall art, too. I've got a long way to go before my collection is even half that of yours. You've got nothing to apologize for. :)

On 2018-02-26 07:52, Prikli Pear wrote:
Thanks for sharing! You've done well given your constraints, and I very much like your collection. The Creature and Kraken mugs are high on my must-get lists. Very nice wall art, too. I've got a long way to go before my collection is even half that of yours. You've got nothing to apologize for. :)

I suppose I do have a surprisingly large collection for someone who has literally nowhere near them to buy Tiki mugs from :) My wife even had to order in the Creature and Frankenstein mugs as a birthday present. Thanks!

T

We've kind of maxed out what we're allowed to get away with. No thatch walls or ceiling or anything. The limited mug space helps us keep down our mug collection to something manageable as well. We're also slowly changing out our kitchen utensils for those ones that look like plants.

Anyways, yeah, there we go. Nothing dramatic, but it's ours...

Those plant utensils are crazy looking! Remind me a little of Strawberry Shortcake toys that my sister had. :)

I once had similar constraints with hanging anything permanent on the walls/ceilings when I needed to convert a room into a recording studio. I managed to glue acoustic paneling on thin masonite (similar to pegboard) and then just tack that to the wall. I would imagine that the same could be done with lauhala and other types of matting. Best of all, when you move you just take them with you for your next place. You'll just have a few nail/screw holes to patch when you leave. Easy peasy. :)

Nice collection. It's a fairly quick job to knot some jute around that light. You can also get faux stained glass paint to paint it some color besides white if you want

On 2018-02-26 07:47, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Thanks! It's good to commiserate with fellow snowbound Canucks :)

As another tundra dweller I too feel your pain. With a very low basement and a screened porch I am constrained to a corner unit and a bar top, but that too is becoming very cluttered just from places we've been of late. We do find the odd piece at thrift stores, but pickin's are very few. Nice keeping it as focused as much as you have. 20,000 Leagues rox.

Pages: 1 8 replies