Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Finding and Fixing an Old Walt Disney World Drink

Pages: 1 5 replies

The excellent Disney fan blog Passport to Dreams Old and New has an ongoing feature of theme-park based drinks. In the latest installment, the writer found an old Walt Disney World recipe - the Seven Seas Drink - tried it, discovered it was terrible, and tried to fix it. It's a fun read: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.ca/2018/02/lets-have-drink-on-it-seven-seas-drink.html

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiGoth 2018-02-26 07:54 ]

To paraphrase Monty Python, "I'll have the orange, orange, orange, orange, orange and orange!"

Egads, but that original recipe looked grim. Unless Orange Slush is your thing, in which case, jackpot!

On 2018-02-26 08:55, Prikli Pear wrote:
To paraphrase Monty Python, "I'll have the orange, orange, orange, orange, orange and orange!"

Egads, but that original recipe looked grim. Unless Orange Slush is your thing, in which case, jackpot!

Man, you ain't kidding! Half of an orange, OJ, curaƧao, and triple sec?!?!?!

jeez...

I think the place to start would be to pick curacao OR triple sec. Two orange liqueurs in one drink sounds like something a lobbyist for the orange liqueur industry would concoct. The sour mix augmented with a tiny bit of fresh lemon also needs to go, just a bigger pour of fresh lemon sweetened with simple syrup. I'd start with something like this:

3/4 oz lemon
3/4 oz orange
1/2 oz rock candy syrup
1/2 oz orange liqueur
2 oz blend of light and dark rums (or maybe 3 oz...)
1 barspoon grenadine
1 dash angostura

mixing it like we normally would, ie just shaking or spindle mixing, rather than all that stop-and-go building and stirring, and garnish with an orange wheel rather than leaving a partly spent orange half in the glass.

The most interesting part of that recipe to me is the Lemon Hart Mai Tai rum. I knew that Vic would eventually start bottling his own MT rum and I knew that LH bottled Jamaican in addition to its Demerara, but I never new that Disney had its own private bottling for Mai Tais too. The suggestion of using Myer's and Bacardi together makes me think it could be a blend of rich dark rums cut with lighter rums to keep the cost down. Anyone have any info on what marques LH would have used back then?

A

Can we substitute the Angostura Bitters with Orange Bitters instead?

:wink:

[ Edited by: arriano 2018-02-26 16:35 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Nov 11, 2018 3:18 PM

FoxxFur recently posted another entry in the series. This one is a punch inspired by Adventureland which sounds pretty good.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2018/11/lets-have-drink-on-it-adventureland.html

Pages: 1 5 replies