Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Barrel aging a rum drink: recipe ideas?

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

I have a source for a small aging keg. I'm not much of a home bartender, but I've mixed at parties for friends, so liquor I have "sitting around" tends to do just that: sit around. I love the idea of aging something, and drinks I've tried which were treated this way have been wonderful. I do acknowledge, from square one, that aging is rather experimental, and there's no guarantee that what I try will come out well. But I'd like to try.

I have: two fifths of Cruzan Aged, one of Hamilton 151, about 2/3 a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap, same of Appleton Special, about half a bottle of El Dorado 5. In liqueurs, I have quite a bit of homemade nocino (walnut liqueur), a fifth of Barenjager, some Cherry Heering, some Dry Curacao, Kahlua, and (not that I think it usually goes with rum) Green Chartreuse.

Anyone have suggestions?

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2018-02-27 23:55 ]

how did this go?

i have a barrel myself and contemplating what to put in it. any ideas helpful. thanks!

I got a small barrel as a gift and I have been using mine like an "Infinity" bottle. I just pour in the last few ounces of whatever bottle I am finishing at the time. I have been doing it for about a year and the other night I finally decided to take a taste. It was amazing! The blended taste was great and of course it has been picking up the notes from the barrel. I highly recommend it.

cool! do you have any idea what was in your barrel? i've tried infinity bottles in glass to widely varying results.

i decided to put wray and nephew overproof into my barrel to try to make something like the 17 year jamaican rum from trader vic's mai tai. i thought about aging a bottle of Plantation OFTD and might try that next.

TP

Lot's of different rums all the way from Angostura to Zacapa. I also used an infinity bottle before but the barrel aging really gives it a nice finish

I've made the Barrel-Aged zombie listed here with some small modifications. Aged a couple of months, came out very tasty, if a little sweet.

http://cocktaildudes.com/recipe/barrel-aged-zombie/

Pages: 1 5 replies