Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov Now on Mixcloud & 2-28-18 Playlist

Pages: 1 2 replies

Some news for those fans of the Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge radio show -- we have started posting complete shows for you to listen to on Mixcloud. Because we started to do this recently, we are feeling our way. Initially only shows from the beginning of this year are available, but if things go as smoothly as they have so far we will add last year's shows as well. Thanks to Tikitube for the suggestion that I check out Mixcloud. You can find the shows here: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist February 28, 2017

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we once again engaged in an honorific exploration of classical standards sprung from music that was nominated and sometimes won the Motion Picture Academy Award.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Around the World (in 80 Days),” the Academy Award-winning music for the 1956 movie of the same name that was composed by Victor Young and Harold Adamson, was played in 1962 by Eddie Kamae on his cardiukelele disc: Heart of the Ukulele.

2. “Pennies From Heaven” was written by Arthur Johnston and Johnny Burke for the 1936 Bing Crosby movie of the same name and was nominated for an Academy Award. It was performed for us by the Wiki Waki Woo on their singular CD: Souvenirs.

3. The Oscar-nominated song, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (From Company B),” was inked by Hugh Prince and Don Raye for the 1941 Abbott & Costello movie: Buck Privates, and was vocally rendered by the Puppini Sisters on their ambitious album: Betcha Bottom Dollar.

4. Written by Johnny Mercer for the 1955 movie: Daddy Long Legs and nominated for an Academy Award, “Something's Gotta Give” was later used for Joanne Woodward to strip to in the 1963 movie: The Stripper. This version was waxed by Fred Astaire in 1955 and included on his dedicated LP: The Great American Songbook.

5. “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” was by Cole Porter and nominated for an Oscar after it appeared in the 1936 MGM movie musical: Born to Dance. This pianistical interpretation appears on the 1953 album aptly named: The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume Two, with George Duvivier on Bass and Arthur Taylor on Drums.

6. “Change Partners” composed by Irving Berlin for the 1938 Fred Astaire movie: Carefree and nominated for an Academy Award, came from the righteous retrospective: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story, Disc One.

7. “True Love,” Another Cole Porter song nominated for an Oscar in the 1956 movie: High Society, was recorded by the Trumpeter Jonah Jones and his quartet on their 1958 lithesome LP: Swingin’ at the Cinema, including George Rhodes on Piano, John Brown on Bass and Harold Austin on Drums.

8. Another Oscar-nominated Cole Porter tune, “You'd Be So Nice to Come Home” was written for the 1943 movie: Something to Shout About and was recorded in 1955 for the aerodynamic album: Lullabies in Rhythm by the Barbara Carroll Trio, who were Ms. Carroll on Piano, her husband Joe Shulman on Bass and Ralph Pollack on Drums.

9. Nominated for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie: Shall We Dance, the song “They Can't Take That Away From Me” is delightedly derived from the 1959 ample anthology: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George & Ira Gershwin Songbook, arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

10. “Long Ago and Far Away” was inked by Jerome Kern and Ira Gershwin for the 1944 Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth movie: Cover Girl & nominated for an Academy Award. It was warbled by Jane Fielding on her 1955 album: Jazz Trio for Voice, Piano and String Bass, with Lou Levy on Piano and Red Mitchell on Bass.

11. “That Old Black Magic” by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer for the 1942 movie: Star Spangled Rhythm also was nominated for an Academy Award, and was waxed by the Alto Sax Player Art Pepper and Trumpeter Conte Candoli on their 1957 Latinesque 10-inch LP: Mucho Calor, with Bill Perkins on Tenor Sax, Russ Freeman on Piano, Ben Tucker on Bass, Chuck Flores on Drums, Mike Pacheco and Jack Costanzo on Bongos.

12. The famous Oscar nominee, “The Trolley Song,” was composed by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane for the 1944 Judy Garland movie: Meet Me In St. Louis, and was sung for us by Cecile McLorin Salvant on her scintillacious CD: For One to Love, with Aaron Diehl on Piano, Paul Sikivie on Bass and Lawrence Leathers on Drums.

13. “Days of Wine and Roses” by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer for the 1962 Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick movie of the same name, won the Academy Award and is fondly found on the 1975 ringing recording: The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album.

14. “Cheek to Cheek,” nominated for an Oscar, was composed by Irving Berlin and introduced by Fred Astaire in the 1935 movie: Top Hat, was sung live at Birdland in New York City in 2005 by Tierney Sutton for her copacetic compact disc: I’m With the Band, with Christian Jacob on Piano, Trey Henry and Kevin Axt on Basses, and Ray Brinker on Drums.

15. “Cinema Paradiso,” the theme from the 1988 Academy Award winning movie of the same name, was written by Andrea & Ennio Morricone and appears on Mr. Morricone’s celluloidal CD set: 50 Movie Theme Hits.

16. The Oscar nominated song “Alfie” by Burt Bachrach and Hal David for the 1966 Michael Caine movie of the same name, recorded live at the Village Vanguard in 1967 by the pianist Bill Evans, and featured on his 1982 late LP: California Here I Come, backed by Eddie Gomez on Bass and Philly Joe Jones on Drums.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2018-03-02 23:32 ]

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2018 4:23 PM

Thanks, Doc. Now that you’re on Mixcloud, I’ve been able to check out a couple of episodes: the most recent Oscars show and the January 3 Pop & Exotica Extravaganza. Good stuff.

T

Yep, I had some time and caught about half an episode on Mixcloud. Great show!

Pages: 1 2 replies