Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mystery Tiki Bob mugs from 1961?

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

I'm pretty excited about a recent find, but I can't find any info in them:

They have the name "Gillen" on the side, typically where the bar name might be. I found a MCM furniture company from the late 50's in France with that name. Not sure if it could be related.

On the bottom of two of the mugs there is a name and a date: Genny King, 12-25-61

The woman who sold them to me didn't have any info on them. She said they were tucked in the bottom of a box of linens that she purchased at an estate sale.

I was very excited to get them, especially if the Xmas 1961 date is valid. My first vintage mugs! I couldn't find them listed on Ooga Mooga. Anyone seen these before, or have any additional insight?

Thanks in advance!

Cool finds! Might be hobbyist pieces but based off a good mold as they look great.

C
croe67 posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2018 6:02 PM

I concur - I'd say hobbyist piece. There are lots of Hobbyist Bobs floating around out there.
Nice find!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2018 11:37 PM

Wendy and Dan have some similar mugs; maybe Wendy knows something more.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38423&forum=18&vpost=732790

I wonder if it was commercial bisqueware or something like that where hobbyist ceramicists could purchase a Tiki Bob from a catalog to glaze and fire themselves. Have those glaze-your-own-pottery places been around since the Sixties?

N
nomeus posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2018 4:04 AM

i have a few random bob mugs like this with different names. they are pretty neat. none of mine have dates i dont think

T

Thanks for the ideas! I figured that there just had to be copycat and/or hobbyist versions of the Tiki Bob mugs...I was just surprised by the early date. But then, I guess that was during the heydey of tiki culture (early 60s).

:)

[ Edited by: tikitube 2018-04-12 07:18 ]

Really cool find! The pink one is especially great.

Pages: 1 6 replies