Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Polynesian tiki bar comes to Manhattan

Pages: 1 4 replies

Sounds like "tiki-lite" is not on the menu:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/10/dining/drinks/tiki-bar-polynesian.html

The Polynesian, which will open the week of April 16 on the third floor of the Pod Hotel Times Square on West 42nd Street, is New York’s latest attempt to embrace the tiki-bar revival. Past bars, most of them short-lived, have been small, even cramped affairs. The Polynesian will not be like that: Like most undertakings by Major Food Group, which owns Carbone and Dirty French, it is a tad over the top.

“My idea was Trader Vic’s meets ‘Mad Men’ meets ‘Pirates of the Caribbean,’” Mr. Miller said. Food will include pu pu platters and what Major Food boasts will be a “best-of-class Crab Rangoon.”

I hope it will be fun AND serve good drinks.

When I was in Manhattan last year I was able to take photos of a closed tiki venue on Times Square which was being remodeled to be an expansion (new location) of a famous cheesecake restaurant. At the time I took my photos there were still a few tiki icons attached to the glass windows. The next day they had been scraped clean, and not a trace of tiki was left. So I'm glad to see the addition of more tiki to Manhattan. This will help offset the loss of the failed tiki venue.

I'll have to go back and find the photos, then find an appropriate thread to post them in. Can't even remember if I learned the name of the old (now gone) venue.

T

Sounds promising. The drink photos look great, although that "sharing bowl" in a Brandy snifter seems like it would go too fast and maybe defeat the purpose of a communal drink (unless perhaps it's just for two).

If NY goes gaga over tiki again with this restaurant, that could ripple over the rest of the country in short time. It sorta feels like a resurgence is overdue, anyways. I even noticed that Walmart is selling lots of Hawaiian print shirts and shorts again, though most feature neon colors.

tikitube - "ripple over the rest of the county" is an interesting possibility. Tiki is fun, the food is good, and the drinks can be superb. The right kind of splash in New York certainly really could inspire others around the nation.

I made a comment yesterday about the evolution of tiki... I have an interest in things which "do tiki" in a new way, a way we have not seen before, and which would spark whole new spinoff concepts and vibes. These things would not be "classic tiki" but it would have roots firmly connected to "classic tiki." There are a few examples already out there, with a number of new potentials on the way soon. I do not see tiki as done evolving or set in stone at all because the bar and restaurant industry is so very creative. And the industry is aided by advances in themed entertainment design where concepts and supporting technology just keeps getting better.

More fun stuff is ahead for all of us!

T

Agreed. I've got friends here in Arkansas that are starting to appreciate it. And I've even convinced a local Mexican restaurant to try hosting a cocktail night with retro Exotica/lounge music and tiki type drinks. Hoping it goes well and becomes a regular thing. Baby steps!

But yeah, evolution usually feels more authentic than straight up emulation of the past. If that means good drinking and immersive experiences that are crafted with an attention to details, I'm all for it!

Pages: 1 4 replies