Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ren Clark's Polynesian Village and the Mauna Loa Mexico connection

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

I have always been intrigued by the similarities between the Ren Clark's “Black Woman” and “Widowmaker” mugs to the Mauna Loa Mexico versions of these mugs. I thought it be worth digging a little deeper...

To the left is the Ren Clark “Widowmaker” and to the right is the Mexico Mauna Loa “Guerrero de Fiji”

To the left is the Ren Clark “Black Woman” and to the right is the Mexico Mauna Loa “Tonga Tabu”

There are 2 versions of both these mugs by Ren Clark. One being a more handmade version and the more glossy OMC versions. Like most of the Mauna Loa mugs, their versions all seem to be unique individually handmade.

It would seem that Mauna Loa’s version are inspired by the more detailed Ren Clark versions. Although I’m not sure since the Mauna Loa (est. 1940s I believe) actually predates Ren Clark’s Polynesian Village (1960-1969). Either way, there does seem to be a connection between the 2 places and digging a little deeper, we find that they have quite a lot in common. Helping us get some great new insight!

Mauna Loa Mexico Drink Menu Placemat

Looking at the Mauna Loa drink menu, on the bottom we see the “Black Lady” as the “Tonga Tabu” and the “Widowmaker” as the “Guerrero de Fiji.”

But as we look at the other pictures, we also see an actual picture of the Pago Pago.

Which is a copy of Ren Clark’s "Pago Pago" bowl.

And, most intriguing, we find the Festin Salvage (Para 4 Canibales)

Which happens to be a perfect representation of Ren Clark’s mysterious "Cannibal bowl."

Finally we have a glimpse as to what these never before seen Ren Clark drink presentations might have looked like!!!!

I can only hope someone might be able to get us a better close up of the "Pago Pago" bowl and the "Festin Salvages."

There is actually a connection between these two establishments as documented by Sven. He discovered that Ren Clark used Mexican carvers who worked on the Mauna Loa.

On 2008-07-17 15:02, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-07-13 00:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
...but I wouldn't be surprised if the Tikis for the Mauna Loa were carved/sculpted by local Mexican artisans. Mexican craftsmen were sometimes even hired to contribute their skills to American restaurants, like at Ren Clark's Polynesian Village in Texas.

How soon does one forget: I myself wrote this in the Book of Tiki, page 249, (about Milan Guanko):

"...and Ren Clark's Polynesian Village...for which Guanko and two Mexican carvers, Juan Razo and Fidel Rodriguez (WHO HAD ALSO OUTFITTED THE MAUNA LOA IN MEXICO CITY) carved over 200 Tikis..."

I knew there was something like that...but forgot how dead on it was. :)

One can only guess that these carvers must have seen these mugs and brought them to the attention of the Mauna Loa. They might very well have carved the "Pago Pago" bowls for both places. But who really knows who inspired who here. Maybe Ren Clark visited the Mauna Loa Mexico which inspired him to create the Polynesian Village. Unfortunately, this is all just speculation. Like most of these restaurants of this era, they all liberally borrowed ideas from each other.

Which brings me to yet one more interesting oddity in the Mauna Loa menu. Looking at it, we also see the "Copa Coatl" on the right.A mix between the Oceanic Arts "Cobra Fang" mug and the Los Angeles Islander "Cobra Fang" mug by Spurlin. But with an added bonus of the straw hole going through the head :)

So is there a connection between the Mauna Loa or the Mexican carvers and the LA Islander as well? The Los Angeles Islander Vicous Virgin could be seen as an inspiration for the “Black Woman” mug.

Do they have a common designer in common like Florian Gabriel was for the Luau and the Detroit Mauna Loa? Would love to hear other people thoughts, theories and maybe find some more connections between these places.

[ Edited by: tattoo 2018-04-17 09:59 ]

OGR

Awesome work Tattoo. Thanks.

T

Great post!

The Ren Clark’s mysterious "Cannibal bowl" is Awesome!

So like why do we see Sooo many versions of tiki Bob?
Damn if you are going to copy somebodies work do a copy of a cool mug like the "Cannibal bowl".

The tiki world does not need more Bobs.
Maybe making a copy of this mug would be harder than popping out a bunch of Bob knock offs.

T

Here is another connection to Ren Clark's "Polynesian Village" which is the "Hukilaua" in Long Beach,

I just love the illustrations in this menu!

The “Black Widow” here being the “Vodu” and Ren Clark’s “Virgin Lament” being the "Flaming Virgin."

Duke Carter has a picture of the Vodu in his book

Which is exactly like the non-omc handmade Polynesian Village “Black Woman”

Here is unmarked "Virgin Lament" mug that is thought to be from the Hukilau

And here is a Ren Clark version.

The "Flaming Virgin" and "Vodu" are simply unmarked versions of the Ren Clark Polynesian Village versions.

Great post!

I live a few miles from the old Hukilau, now called The Crab Pot.

How nice to see it all lined up, thank you Martijn :) !

How nice to see it all lined up, thank you Martijn :) !

Great job on the research here Tattoo!

Great job on the research here Tattoo!

Pages: 1 8 replies