Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tommy Bahama Mugs

Pages: 1 3 replies

I

I found myself doing something out of the ordinary last Friday -- walking through one of those high-end shopping malls, the kind that features Saks, Nieman Marcus, and Tiffanys.

They had a Tommy Bahama store there, and I was surprised to find something reasonably priced, that I actually liked. They had two different versions of tiki-like mugs. No tikis on them, but each one featured a full head-to-toe Polynesian woman, wearing a floral printed dress. The women are molded in a 3-D fashion, and hand-painted with a great amount of detail. One of the women is carrying a basket of pineapples, and one can see the individual serrated pineapple pattern lines.

These were very elegant, and simply put, some of the most beautiful mugs I've ever seen. (I wish I had a digital camera) I bought one of each, priced at $16 each (and passed by, as always, on the $100 tiki shirts)

At the bottom edge of each mug is the raised script 'Tommy Bahamas' logo, but if you turn the mug 180 degrees, you can see the exact same woman without the logo on the bottom. The bottom of one mug has written on it 'Kimono Lady 2002' while the other says 'Tropical Nostalgia 2003' Both say they are handmade in China.

At another store in the same mall, I also found a new Tiki Soap-on-a-rope, on sale for half price (along with a full priced 2004 Shag calendar)

I may have missed the Chicago Exotica event, but it was nice find some nice tiki-related things - right at about the time the Kona Kai event was happening.

Vern

Me too. I picked up the "Kimono Lady 2002". It's a beautiful and well detailed mug. It has a definite vintage look to it. Sorry no camera so I cant help with the photo of it.

Vern, as further consolation, know that your name was invoked MANY times over the weekend, as all the Maryland/VA/DC gang and I lamented your absence!

I heard a rumor that a Farm near you has some pretty killer "Hawaiiana" mugs in the werks. Just a rumor though!

Stacking wood on-top of campfires! The next tiki craze!!

Pages: 1 3 replies