Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Name All of These COUNTERFEIT Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 11 replies

That's the classic Suffering Bastard dead-center of the nine mugs. I think the original mug was Trader Vic's and the cocktail was from Shepherd's Hotel in Cairo where Joe Scialom created it.

There is a bar supply company in Florida that routinely sells overseas knockoffs of some very cool mugs. I have written to them in the past to ensure they were made aware and have never gotten any response back. We need some sort of tiki witch doctor or tiki shaman to curse their nether regions...

There companies over here in the UK that also sell rip off Tiki Farm mugs, But how can you stop them doing this? most people don't know or even care they are buying cheap rip offs

I looked again - it also looks like there is a Trader Sam's Krakatoa mug in the long list of mugs to the right of the 9-mug photo.

Thought I spotted a mug from Frankie's Tiki Room, but nope, I think it just reminded me of one of their designs.

The Krakatoa look-alike reminded me that a lot of mugs are made in China anyways. I have heard that in many cases after they produce what is originally ordered and paid for by their customer that they will continue the production run and then sell more copies (illegally, from our point of view, but not from theirs) and sell it on Alibaba and AliExpress online.

On 2018-04-30 13:35, AceExplorer wrote:
The Krakatoa look-alike reminded me that a lot of mugs are made in China anyways. I have heard that in many cases after they produce what is originally ordered and paid for by their customer that they will continue the production run and then sell more copies (illegally, from our point of view, but not from theirs) and sell it on Alibaba and AliExpress online.

They do that with Disney pins too. They overproduce the official pins and then hawk them to sellers on places like Ebay, who then hawk them off in those "100 pins for $25, 100% tradable in park!" type grab bags. Disney castmembers aren't allowed to turn down trades from guests, most of whom probably just got them off Ebay without knowing any better, which means these bootlegs are prolific throughout the parks. There's pretty much no point to doing the "Official Pin Trading" in the parks, because you are virtually guaranteed to be getting a bootleg. In Disney pin trading circles, these bootlegs are nicknamed "scrapers" (as in, only useful for..., should have been...).

T

TIKIBOB mug?

On 2018-04-30 13:44, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
They overproduce the official pins and then hawk them to sellers on places like Ebay, who then hawk them off in those "100 pins for $25, 100% tradable in park!" type grab bags.

Very interesting, I have not heard that before. So I wonder, if they are bootlegs, made from the same dies/molds, then while they are technically bootlegs they are also impossible to differentiate from the ones sold by the Disney company?

T

I bet the Shag one is the first one they stop making.

You can't even use his name without getting a spanking.
I do like Shags work.

You have stuff from Squid, Mai Kai, Forbidden Island, Trader Vics, Trader Mort, Disney and more. Not sure how international law works but it sucks for the artists and companies that produced these mugs in the first place to have them duplicated without permission or financial compensation. I know some artists are aware and have tried to take action but I'm not sure what's come of that. Several of these were made for or through Tiki Farm, so maybe it's something they can try to pursue.

I was surprised by the sheer number of rip-offs all from one vendor.

On 2018-05-01 13:23, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:
I was surprised by the sheer number of rip-offs all from one vendor.

It seems a fully acceptable practice in their culture - you make 1,000,000 for your US customer, then happily produce an overrun of an extra 10,000 or so. Then you sell the overruns at a huge profit on Alibaba or AliExpress. Then voila - now you're a double-millionaire. Once from the original sale, and then a second time from the profit on your clandestine overruns.

I know I'm exaggerating (only a teensy bit, lol) but I hope my point is clear. They're not the only ones engaged in this though. They're just harder to reach out to and stop because (I'm guessing here) the government is making a cut somewhere as well and funding their infrastructure improvements and their military and their space program on our backs.

T

Pages: 1 11 replies