Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Planning San Francisco area vacation

Pages: 1 12 replies

Z

Sorry about creating a new topic just for this, but my wife and I are heading up from SoCal to see Forbidden Island, Tonga Room, Pagan Idol, Smuggler's Cove and if time permits we plan to hit Kon-Tiki and Trader Vic's. We've never been to any of them. Just looking for any heads up or suggestions?

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2018-06-04 09:44 ]

The Walt Disney Family Museum is a knockout facility, and a must-do if Disney played any role in your Tikiphillia.

Z

Oh yes, Disney’s a biggie. First visited the Tiki Room in 1964. Will add this to the list. Mahaloz!

All the heads-up you could ever need is in this thread!!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51454&forum=16&58

IF YOU MUST...:

If you must do the Tonga Room, make sure you're queued up before the doors open at 5p so you can get your name in as early as possible. 2 - 2.5 hour wait to be seated is the norm if you go later.

If you are going to do Smuggler's Cove and must have one of the few seats available, make sure to be queued up 15m - 30m before doors open at 5p. I've been lucky and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get in when I've showed up later but I know some folks have experienced waits of up to 45m in line before being able to go inside on busy nights.

Everywhere else is what it is.

CHEAP DRINKS:

Forbidden Island has happy hour all day Monday!

Trader Vic's has happy hour all day Tuesday!

As far as I know, the only place with no happy hour is Pagan Idol.

EASY TRAVEL:

Kon Tiki is a short trip from Forbidden Island by bus or by Uber. If you're hitting up FI then Kon Tiki is a convenient stop, as you practically pass right by it coming back from Alameda.

The Emery Go Round is Emeryville's free bus service. Catch it in front of MacArthur BART station and it will drop you off a block or two from Trader Vic's, then catch it back when you're done. Runs until about 10p.

Whitechapel is to gin what Smuggler's Cove is to rum and they are only about 4 blocks apart. Stumbling distance to be sure.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2018 10:04 PM

I second Goth’s recommendation about the WDFM; there’s even an Audio-Animatronic tiki bird you can manipulate yourself. And Hope’s suggestions and thread link are really good, too. And FYI, last I knew Pagan Idol was closed on Sunday. Another non-tiki but really cool place to visit is Musee Mecanique.

You might also check out the first couple of days of the trip report from my vacation last August, when I was in SF and stopped at Trader Vic’s and Smuggler’s Cove.

Z

On 2018-06-05 11:15, HopeChest wrote:
All the heads-up you could ever need is in this thread!!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51454&forum=16&58

IF YOU MUST...:

If you must do the Tonga Room, make sure you're queued up before the doors open at 5p so you can get your name in as early as possible. 2 - 2.5 hour wait to be seated is the norm if you go later.

If you are going to do Smuggler's Cove and must have one of the few seats available, make sure to be queued up 15m - 30m before doors open at 5p. I've been lucky and never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get in when I've showed up later but I know some folks have experienced waits of up to 45m in line before being able to go inside on busy nights.

Everywhere else is what it is.

CHEAP DRINKS:

Forbidden Island has happy hour all day Monday!

Trader Vic's has happy hour all day Tuesday!

As far as I know, the only place with no happy hour is Pagan Idol.

EASY TRAVEL:

Kon Tiki is a short trip from Forbidden Island by bus or by Uber. If you're hitting up FI then Kon Tiki is a convenient stop, as you practically pass right by it coming back from Alameda.

The Emery Go Round is Emeryville's free bus service. Catch it in front of MacArthur BART station and it will drop you off a block or two from Trader Vic's, then catch it back when you're done. Runs until about 10p.

Whitechapel is to gin what Smuggler's Cove is to rum and they are only about 4 blocks apart. Stumbling distance to be sure.

Wow. Thank you! Lotsa info to digest. Will peruse the other thread also.

We’re already in the area. Hit Trader Vic’s for lunch, FI was packed so we’re at Kon Tiki right now. Mugs sold out already :(
Going to Tonga Room tomorrow and the heads up is much appreciated. Lots to consider. Thanks again!

Z

On 2018-06-05 22:04, Hamo wrote:
I second Goth’s recommendation about the WDFM; there’s even an Audio-Animatronic tiki bird you can manipulate yourself. And Hope’s suggestions and thread link are really good, too. And FYI, last I knew Pagan Idol was closed on Sunday. Another non-tiki but really cool place to visit is Musee Mecanique.

You might also check out the first couple of days of the trip report from my vacation last August, when I was in SF and stopped at Trader Vic’s and Smuggler’s Cove.

Thanks Hamo. Will check out the thread also. Aloha from Forbidden Island!

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2018-06-07 19:12 ]

Z

Ah, paradise...

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 7, 2018 9:19 PM

Please post a detailed report when you get the chance. I spent a lot of time last night outlining a future return trip to the Bay Area for the end of November/beginning of December....

Z

Can’t believe it. One reason I had to see the Tonga Room was because Anthony Bourdain called it “The greatest place in history.” He probably died while I was eating there last night. Very sad.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2018-06-08 07:23 ]

R

On our last visit to San Francisco, we used Lyft to get around the city. It worked great to hit all the top tiki spots and not have to worry about driving, parking, etc.

Rick in Texas

A few additional points: be sure to check out the FB pages or Instagrams for the various bars to see if they have special events during your stay. Kon-Tiki is starting to have live music and also often holds rum tasting events. Kon-Tiki is also two blocks from the 12th Street BART station, which makes it easy to get to if you're coming over from SF.

Z

Thanks everyone. We had a great time. Saw Trader Vic’s, Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki, Tonga Room, Disney Family Museum & Nine Old Men, walked Fisherman’s Wharf, and for hours in China Town - I’d forgotten how close tiki and Chinese paraphernalia could be. Of all the stops we had time for, the Tonga Room was the most relaxing atmosphere, with the rain & thunder et al. I ordered a Rain Maker bowl then another lesser drink and the waiter noticed I wasn’t enjoying it. He took it away and brought another Rain Maker on the house. Now that’s service! Their Pu Pu Bowl rocks.

Pages: 1 12 replies