Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I think this is an old advertisement ? Any Ideas what it might be from ?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I found this cool wooden sign at a yard sale. It is hand painted and the palm tree and grass are 3D. It's pretty big, around 6.5 tall X 4.5 feet wide. It had hinges on the side at one point. It looks pretty old. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before. I'm going to put this in my tiki bar if I can fit it in the door : )

That is so cool!

Definitely looks like an old promo sign but good lord - six and a half feet tall?!?!? Where on earth would you need a sign that big advertising coconut palm, of all things?

The hinges bit is interesting. If it was something side mounted then you'd expect an image to be on both sides, otherwise any hanging / mounting mechanisms would be on the back. With hinges on the side, plus the generic nature of the sign, it makes me wonder if this was a sample from an old sign shop, wall mounted on a hinge for ease of movement whilst browsing examples. Still though, six and a half feet tall...

Anything at all on the back?

Perhaps part of an old museum exhibit?

It's funny when I told the guy I'd buy it....I figured I could get it home no problem. I have a van, but when I got to the van door, it barely fit. It took me a bit, but I was able to get it in at an angle. I had to drive home with it hanging out the back. The back of this sign is just painted wood, I attached a picture. Also a picture with a large pizza box for scale. The guy I got it from had cleaned out his grandfathers house and this was in the attic.

Cool find! Glad you got it home in one piece.

Pages: 1 4 replies