Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Okolehao sealed bottle

Pages: 1 16 replies

Was visiting my ailing grandmother, my brother happened to be digging in the back of their bar cabinet and came out with this sealed bottle of Okolehao ("iron rump" as the label explains).

I'm curious to try it but I also like the sealed bottle. Any guesses how old this is?

Great find

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/whiskey/how-to-date-a-bottle-of-whiskey/

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-08-19 18:19 ]

Thanks for the link Hang10...It would appear to be some time between 1945 and 1964 given the IRS "Series 112" seal and the "Federal Law Forbids Reuse..." on the bottle.

There is a "49" and a "60" imprinted in the glass on the bottom, either of these could be a 2-digit year code. I would be very surprised if it was as early as 1949, but 1960 seems reasonable.

My grandfather was a marketing exec for United Airlines during this period when they were promoting new flights to Hawaii. I'm sure he purchased or was gifted this bottle during this time, although I'm not sure of the exact years he did this work for United. Unfortunately he passed some years ago, and my grandmother is no longer able to speak enough to explain the history.

Here's a detailed article of United's history with Hawaii. http://aviation.hawaii.gov/pioneer-airlines/united-air-lines/ Honolulu service initiated in '47 while Stratocruiser service began in '50.

https://inuakena.com/misc/okolehao-then-and-now/

S

I would guess 60s as well. I have a variety of Oke bottles. The flavors are varied, but very good. Glass bottles are the best to retain flavor. Plastic is awful. If you open it, you'd be sipping. It's a nice thing to enjoy on special occasions.

Is the bottle still full, or does it have noticeable evaporation loss?

Isn't this a holy grail of the Tiki drink world?

BB

That is just an awesome find. I would wait for a very special occasion before opening that. I acquired a 70's vintage bottle of bourbon a few years back. Waited until I was with extended family at Christmas before opening it, and it was well worth the wait.

Ed: Not saying you should open it, that is.

[ Edited by: Bam Bam 2018-08-21 04:47 ]

On 2018-08-20 21:52, MadDogMike wrote:
Isn't this a holy grail of the Tiki drink world?

I would think so, but I've lost track of the Tiki scene since I had kids.

The bottle doesn't appear to have lost any liquid. There are a little bit of solids that are visible when the bottle is agitated.

It would be a shame to open it for anything less than a major occasion as it's been sealed for probably close to 70 years.

A

I'm fairly certain that it's gone bad by now. Best to ship it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.
:)

Well played, arriano.

Just found out my grandmother passed away today, not sure what will be planned for her memorial but I'm told she wanted a party at her house. I can't imagine a better way to honor her memory than to crack open this bottle and share it with family. No doubt that's what she was saving it for.

She was a party animal to the day she died, over the last few months her drink was vodka and Ensure, which she enjoyed promptly at 5:00.

Awesome thread. You guys are bringing a tear to this old Jarheads eye.
Mahalo to all.

BB

That sounds like a wonderful way to honor her. Things like this are indeed best enjoyed in the company of friends and family.

When you do partake of it, please document anything you can regarding the flavor. The way I understand it, true, unadulterated Ti okolehao just isn't made any more, or at least is incredibly hard to come by. I'm really curious what its characteristics are.

I think you should have some vodka and Ensure at 5pm too :wink:

Sorry for your loss Stu, all my grandparents are long gone :(

Glad the link helped a little
Sorry for your loss
If your grams was like mine, I know ya miss her like crazy

Cheers to grams

Aloha Stu... A fellow native San Leandroid here. I came across this advertisement in a Hawaii cookbook today. The cookbook is copyrighted 1956 and interestingly enough the ad states that Okolehao is “available again”. So apparently, it was discontinued or otherwise for a period of time. Hope this helps on your quest. And, condolences to your family on the passing of your Grandmother... enjoy the fine specimen in her honor.

[ Edited by: TheBoozehounder 2018-08-26 20:30 ]

Nice discovery, boozehounder. I love this trail of clues. I think the ad is introducing this liquor as a new product, a recreation of the traditional drink from the early 19th century.

I also like the text above the ad: "Take half a pig's head and boil in shoyu sauce and sugar...slice and eat cold.."

Indeed, I think your are correct on the verbiage... too many Painkillers yesterday.

Pages: 1 16 replies