Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Wendy Cevola Sculpts

Pages: 1 9 replies

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to be asked by artist Wendy Cevola to write an article about her talents in Tiki Magazine. Most of this was chronicled in that article-this is the cliff note introduction.

I had the opportunity to visit Dan Cevola's comprehensive and extensive Tiki collection during our second Sacramento Tiki Crawl in 2007, as well as multiple times since. During this and subsequent visits, I was introduced to Wendy Cevola's sculpting talents. I was able to see a selection of what Dan dubbed "should have been" bowls, mugs and sculpts Wendy has made for Dan. I was so impressed with what I saw that in 2008, I asked Wendy to make a Sacramento tribute mug for our crawl the next year. Being naïve as I was and based on the art I had seen I thought this was a simple request. Wendy told me at the time she did not know how to make mugs. The sculpts she had created were made out of Sculpey clay and making a mug was much more complicated.

It was prior to making plans for the 2010 Sacramento Tiki Crawl that Wendy learned about a ceramist in Woodland California. Wendy went to meet up and learn about making mugs. In 2010, Wendy produced what is now the first of nine Sacramento tribute mugs to highlight the California capital's contribution to Tiki culture. Previous to this, the only Tiki mug to have any connection to Sacramento was the short-lived "Tiki Bob's Sacramento/San Francisco" mug. The very first mug made solely by Wendy Cevola (Wendy had sculpted and had other artists produce mugs, i.e. Gecko) was the tribute mug for the Zombie Hut/Coral Reef, two famous and well known Sacramento Tiki establishments.

Fast forward to today-Wendy Cevola has made hundreds of "Wish List" mugs. Wendy is now working on wish list number eight. One of the only ceramists I know that does one of a kind custom mugs for her clients. Some of you own paintings, necklaces and other "Cevola" creations.

I am fortunate enough to have been gifted with the original Sculpey creations Wendy made for Dan, along with the only Tiki carved in wood by Wendy. Not sure where these might have shown up on Tiki Central, if at all, but I am dedicating this thread specifically to those original sculpts-thank you Wendy and Dan Cevola (not forgetting Dan here). Dan is the man behind the scenes and the reason this happened in the first place!

Here you go-

The very first sculpt-Kahiki styled Moai bowl.

Three Tiki Crate bowl-precursor to the Forbidden Island Crate mug and statue.

PMP based Tiki bowl from a rare design not often seen.

A Suffering Bastard bowl.

Bug eyed Moai bowl.

Tahitian Tiki bowl.

Zombie Village mug.

The original Hot Tub Hula Girl sculpt.

Skipper Kent's Moai bowl.

Four Tiki Jewel Eyed bowl.

Four Tiki Deity bowl,

Maori Tiki sculpt.

Original sculpts for the Zombie Hut/Coral Reef Sacramento 2010 Crawl mug and Lanai San Mateo tribute mug.

Thank you again to Wendy and Dan. If you have a mug or an item Wendy Cevola created and would like to share it, please post it here.

Ever indebted,

Psycho Tiki D

Awesome
I’ll be back

My Wendy area

Wow, that is an assortment of goodness. I need to post all of mine too, I see we have a couple of the same ones!

PTD

Lost count and there are probably more, but here are some shots of my Wendy Cevola collection-

If you got them, keep them coming!

Psycho Tiki D

Awesome

So talented!!!!! Seriously amazing work!!!!! :)

Wow, thank you hang10tiki for pointing me to this new thread by Psycho Tiki D.
Thank you Duane for being such a good friend I truly appreciate you.

Jeff Central thank you for your comment. I continue to try to earn it.

Even though we have been reducing the size of our collection we are still very much into tiki and the lifestyle. We love all our tiki friends who are in our lives on and off and daily.

Cheers to many more fun years, Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-09-06 14:35 ]

From
Tavarua Tiki
His computer is down

C
cy posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2018 8:59 PM

All my Cevolas have a special place in my home and heart.

Pages: 1 9 replies