Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ohio Tiki Book!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

Aloha Tiki Fans,

I am currently writing a NEW book called Ohio Tiki. It will be published next year by History Press.

If anyone has ANY Ohio Tiki items they can scan it would be most appreciative. I have a LOT already but could always use more.

Matchbooks, menus, postcards or personal photographs would be most welcome.

If you have anything I might be interested in, please let me know. You will get full credit for anything used.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Oh, and NO Kahiki stuff is needed. We already wrote that book!! :)

Jeff,

Glad your doing this project, I have some things to send (have sent!) your way. Hope others have some images to contribute as well! Looking forward to seeing the finished book, good luck.

DC

T

All right Jeff.
I gots a few things and will see you soon.

You know people don't know how big a entertainment stop Ohio was for a lot of the early vaudeville and other entertainers was.
When you got the shows you get the places to feed people after and before.

Downtown Columbus was 24 hours back in the day, my dads first restaurants were 24 hour places.
Man the drunks and railroaders, but then it was the vice cops that could really start some mischief, my mom had some stories!

Larry Flint brought a naked girl in to eat! Well she had a coat.
I say No Shoes, No Clothes, Free food.

But the theme restaurants were many, Wine Cellar, Kahiki, Engine House no5,Water works,Jai Lai, The Gaslight, The Catacombs, 94th Aero Squadron And so many more.

Columbus was big.
There used to be parades down High St all the time, Santa at Lazarus was an event every kid went to, there was Xmas garland that went over the road High Street, Heck lights used to go over all of High St.

I am so glad I did not miss those days as the world is not even half as good as it used to be and heck the best times were even before my time.

I say they F#$*d it all up.

Good luck on your book, at least people can read about the good ol days.

I’ve got a big marquesan tiki from the Kon Tiki in Cleveland

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's AMAZING how much I've uncovered especially with dustycajun's help!!

Even Tiki Central "Locating Tiki" thread will need to be drastically updated. It's crazy!!!

Yes, I'll see you tomorrow tikiskip!! :)

@happybuddha, I'd love to see a picture of that Tiki!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

looking forward to it, Jeff!!!

are you including anything tangentially tiki-like, such as the Windward Passage? maybe as an honorable mention? :)

Possibly J$ but I really have uncovered a LOT. It all depends on how much room I have after all the GOOD stuff!!

I do love the Windward though. A definite time capsule of a place!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Very cool, Jeff!! Keep us posted!

W

I probably have a couple things, Jeff.

T

On 2018-09-27 21:01, wentiki wrote:

Yeah but can he photograph them and show them to others? :)

On 2018-09-27 21:01, wentiki wrote:

That would be wonderful Wendy! Let me know what you have and we'll go from there.

PM works too if you want.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

So Jeff what's the word on yer new book?

On 2019-03-28 10:07, tikiskip wrote:
So Jeff what's the word on yer new book?

Hi Skip,

Man, this think is looking really cool. I am in the final stages and working with the copy editor as I type!!

Looks like the release date is December 9th, 2019.

Also, the authors of the first Kahiki book are working on ANOTHER Kahiki Scrapbook. All the leftovers plus LOTS of NEW stuff that you would not believe.

Boy, the Ohio folks love their Tiki!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Now available for pre-order...………………….

https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467142472

I am extremely happy on how it turned out!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2019-11-07 10:57 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies