Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

greetings and apology

Pages: 1 13 replies

E

emspace here. Yep, I live and breathe and even sometimes thrive. :)

I'm not back to hang, life is busy and my focus is elsewhere, but I do want to apologize to some members who I know I grievously insulted by harping on about how "surf and rockabilly are not tiki." Well, I get it now, I really truly do, and I think tiki mixed with surf and rockabilly are just fine, and even cool. I now understand the Southern California connection that people were trying to explain to me - that whole thing with rockabilly shirts and stingy-brim hats and tattoos, and how it all connects with the tiki bar and exotic cocktail thing, and I actually admire it and wish I could have been there. These folks were in every way doing their part to make tiki a LIVING scene rather than a closeted individual obsession, which was pretty much what I was going through.

So to all you SoCal rockabilly and surf tikis, I humbly apologize, very belatedly I know, for being a tiki Nazi, and hope the scene is still going strong. From what I've seen from a few connections I've made out there, it is, and that makes me happy.

• all the best from emspace.
M
MrFab posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2018 9:55 AM

Wow! Ok. I think I might have been one of those people you mentioned, as I have said here that tiki (and early rock n roll, burlesque, kustom kulture, etc) were all part of the 'lowbrow' aesthetic that arose in post-punk SoCal. Not that there's anything particularly Polynesian Pop about, say, rockabilly, just that they were all aspects of mid-century sleaze culture that seemed to go well together.* Like how goth, Klingons, and gore movies are folded up into heavy metal culture, or how kung-fu movies, Kraftwerk, and certain designer labels ended up in hip-hop culture. Part of the cultural mosaic.

May I ask how you arrived at this revelation, something in particular struck you, or it just finally sank in?

*It would probably make more sense to refer to this all as 'lowbrow' culture, as in the art movement, rather than calling it all 'tiki,' and just use 'tiki' to specifically refer to Poly-pop.

E

On 2018-11-17 09:55, MrFab wrote:
Wow! Ok. I think I might have been one of those people you mentioned, as I have said here that tiki (and early rock n roll, burlesque, kustom kulture, etc) were all part of the 'lowbrow' aesthetic that arose in post-punk SoCal. Not that there's anything particularly Polynesian Pop about, say, rockabilly, just that they were all aspects of mid-century sleaze culture that seemed to go well together.* Like how goth, Klingons, and gore movies are folded up into heavy metal culture, or how kung-fu movies, Kraftwerk, and certain designer labels ended up in hip-hop culture. Part of the cultural mosaic.

May I ask how you arrived at this revelation, something in particular struck you, or it just finally sank in?

*It would probably make more sense to refer to this all as 'lowbrow' culture, as in the art movement, rather than calling it all 'tiki,' and just use 'tiki' to specifically refer to Poly-pop.

Heh heh, I'm fine with lowbrow as a good catchall. Well, the first thing is that I actually started listening seriously to surf and rockabilly, genres I'd more or less ignored till about five years back. You can mainly thank Deke Dickerson for that. Expanding from there, I started seeing people in those musical scenes who loved Polynesian pop culture - loved it every bit as much as any hardcore purist who rejected that connection. And I'd known and loved hot rod culture as a kid, Rat Fink and all that goodness, and could see the connections in retrospect. It all just makes sense if you look at the bigger picture in American culture rather than just one niche. It's not like people are trying to forge a spurious connection between Poly-pop and I dunno, death metal or something, the connection is genuine and has good historical roots! They might be later than the '40s and early '50s, but there's a real continuity there.

Anyway thanks for the reply and the chance to expound further. Always been wordy so that works for me. :)

[ Edited by: emspace 2018-11-17 10:27 ]

wow, emspace, that's a name i've not heard in a long time,... a... long... time...

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2018-12-01 19:27 ]

Hmmmm… Smokin Menehunes broke up?? I didnt realize that. Surprised no one else mentioned it before now.

Buzzy Out!

TM

And there he is, right on schedule.

On 2018-12-01 10:59, lucas vigor wrote:

Lucas got morning drunk again, and started mouthing off, and when called on his bullshit, goes back and deletes his original foot in mouth post. Is that a daily occurrence for you? Is it now part of your routine since you got no gigs to practice for?

The lonely boogeyman that lives rent free in your head, may be named in honor of me by you, and seems to be blamed for all your problems, but it isn't actually me. Your problems stem from that you are a drunk and the booze owns you.

Maybe if you toasted in my honor every time you took a swig, the negative connotation with me would transfer through to the liquor by association, making booze distasteful to you. Then rather than being your imaginary demon, I will become your actual savior.

In the meantime, if you don't want me to call you out on our bullshit: stop blaming me in public for something I didn't do, and blaming me for your current lack of musical opportunities. It's your baggage that you bring to these venues that got you to where you are now, not me. Your original shit fit was when you were bemoaning that Tiki Oasis wouldnt have you back, and that you didn't understand why. In summary: I posted Otto's quote of exactly why (Because as he labeled you: You're a "malcontent.") and all of a sudden you wig out and cant be in the same room as me at ITMP? Just like you did on TC, you then threw a tantrum and essentially QUIT your band by refusing to play your at last remaining venue. And why: because I reminded you why you don't play at oasis anymore, after you asked? Unlike when you quit TC those couple times, you couldn't just come back when you sobered up after the reality of the consequences of your actions kicked in, because YOU burned those bridges, not me.

But hey, as long a you blame me, nothing is your fault and you don't have to fix all the things in your life that YOU fucked up, right?

Cheers!
Buzzy Out

TM

On 2018-12-02 12:31, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2018-12-01 10:59, lucas vigor wrote:

Lucas got morning drunk again, and started mouthing off, and when called on his bullshit, goes back and deletes his original foot in mouth post. Is that a daily occurrence for you? Is it now part of your routine since you got no gigs to practice for?

The lonely boogeyman that lives rent free in your head, may be named in honor of me by you, and seems to be blamed for all your problems, but it isn't actually me. Your problems stem from that you are a drunk and the booze owns you.

Maybe if you toasted in my honor every time you took a swig, the negative connotation with me would transfer through to the liquor by association, making booze distasteful to you. Then rather than being your imaginary demon, I will become your actual savior.

In the meantime, if you don't want me to call you out on our bullshit: stop blaming me in public for something I didn't do, and blaming me for your current lack of musical opportunities. It's your baggage that you bring to these venues that got you to where you are now, not me. Your original shit fit was when you were bemoaning that Tiki Oasis wouldnt have you back, and that you didn't understand why. In summary: I posted Otto's quote of exactly why (Because as he labeled you: You're a "malcontent.") and all of a sudden you wig out and cant be in the same room as me at ITMP? Just like you did on TC, you then threw a tantrum and essentially QUIT your band by refusing to play your at last remaining venue. And why: because I reminded you why you don't play at oasis anymore, after you asked? Unlike when you quit TC those couple times, you couldn't just come back when you sobered up after the reality of the consequences of your actions kicked in, because YOU burned those bridges, not me.

But hey, as long a you blame me, nothing is your fault and you don't have to fix all the things in your life that YOU fucked up, right?

Cheers!
Buzzy Out

Bless your heart, buzzy.

More Tiki Drama!!

lol!!!

You boys crack me up!!

T

Mt. Tikicentral is ready to blow there’s smoke on the horizon and a small red glow.

Fiery words are a flyin, these kind of actions bring on lookers to a forum that’s kinda dyin.

“I’m tired of the flaming” “this is the stuff that drove me from this site”
Funny cuz the views really go up every time there’s a fight.

Fight on tiki people throw fists pull hair, as it looks like the only time people care.
It’s in your genes and not just hooey, remember this happened on ol' Rapa Nui.

No more tiki Bob or another sunsets, fight today and have later regrets.

Flame wars are back? Harsh words and disorder to shock the lives of these tiki horder.
So add to Tikicentral Fling poo or throw clay but add something to Tikicentral or it may go away.

It will get better?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffeE51Nnyo

U

You are right. All of this acrimony turns people off. Take it outside behind the tiki bar.

T

Pissionary's Downfall...a spin off of the original. With lots of bitters.

TR

To many people, tiki is just another thing like rockabilly, burlesque, surf rock, etc.

Ya'll are usually so darn exclusive that its hard to ever think that anyone could be truely "authentic" to your tastes.

A tiki nerd can be as mean as a highschool jock sometimes....it just depends on who is getting bagged on.

I agree that there are certain boundaries of tiki taste-like we know that parrotheads and "clown" tikis ain't allowed in your club, etc. and there's nothing tiki about a chicky hut......but Live and Let Live I always say...tiki like all things evolves and goes through phases.....

cheers

Pages: 1 13 replies