Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemonhart for me!!!

Pages: 1 16 replies

For Thanksgiving my brother brought me 2 bottles of Lemonhart! The regular proof and the spiced. He hasn't been able to find the 151 in the greater Boston area yet but I'm thrilled that he tracked these two down and gifted them to me. :)

So, what do I make with them? I'm going to mix the regular into my favorite drink, a Mai Tai but what drinks showcase these rums best? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cheers!

T

I drink most of mine in a rum and coke, er Cuba Libre For the 80 proof.

Don't really like spiced rums so never had that.
If I drink rum I want rum, not a liquid fruit cake.

I agree most spiced rum is trash. But I haven’t tried the LH. As for the 80, there are plenty of recipes for a good Demerara. Check out the Bum’s collected Don & Vic recipes, or Hurricane Heyward’s Mai Kai tributes. My personal favorite cocktail calling for regular proof is the Yeoman’s Grog.

LH80 is a very capable Demerara, suitable for many tiki recipes.

S

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of seeing this question. Taste is subjective. I can give you 100 suggestions and you might not like any of them. It's your rum and your money. Try experimenting and find what YOU like.

S

I don't even know how long ago it was, BUT, when i started getting into Tiki and tropical cocktails i had (i think) 32 different rums in my collection. (This is years ago and also Australia. The number of rums available back then was extremely limited).

I made a Mai Tai with X rum and A rum. Then i made a Mai Tai with X rum and B rum Then X rum and C rum, etc. Then i made a Mai Tai with C rum with A rum. Then C rum with B rum, etc.

My point is that there are THOUSANDS of combinations, even if you only have a handful of rums. You are not going to know what you like unless YOU experiment.

T

Oh, the Demerara dry float is great!

But that needs the 151.

So when you get the 151 try the Demerara dry float.

R

On 2018-11-26 16:41, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
He hasn't been able to find the 151 in the greater Boston area yet

Pretty sure Porter Square Wine & Spirits has it. Although from what I hear the latest incarnation of Lemon Hart isn't as good as it used to be and the Ed Hamilton rums are better. Porter also has both of those the 151 and the 86.

https://portersquare.wine/

I understand your point, Swizzle. My point was just that since this isn't a rum I normally have access to I was looking for a type of drink that might showcase its flavors more than others. (I also didn't want to "waste" it since I have wanted it since forever!) I don't have enough to try everything so I was looking to be pointed in the "right" direction. I have all the Bum books so I'll peruse those looking for recipes that call for a regular proof demera.

And Rangda, thanks. I'll be in Boston in January for the birth of my niece so I'll check out Porter Square. I haven't found Hamilton in NJ either so I'd love to pick some up.

As for the spiced, I'm no spiced rum fan but it was a gift with the nicest of intentions so I'm grateful.

Thanks everyone!

R

I haven't found Hamilton in NJ either so I'd love to pick some up.

Porter has all the EH products except for the Pot Still Blonde, which as far as I know is only available in CA right now.

As for the spiced, I'm no spiced rum fan but it was a gift with the nicest of intentions so I'm grateful.

I'm not a huge fan of spiced rum either but try Chairman's Reserve, it's pretty good.

If you are here rum shopping also head over to Marty's Fine Wine in Newton. They are one of the few stores that have all four of the latest Distiller's Drawer releases from Privateer, which were all very good this time around.

https://www.martysfinewine.com/

In particular pick up a bottle of Les Paradis if you enjoy a good sipping rum.

[ Edited by: rangda 2018-11-27 18:00 ]

Thanks again Rangda!

I will keep your suggestions in mind. Funny - my brother (same one) brought me a Chairmen's Reserve sampler from one of his travels. It was 3 small bottles that stacked and were in a tin. I want to say it was from a trip to Belize but I could be wrong. He travels a lot!

I checked my Tiki+ app to see which recipes specifically call for Demerara 151:

Don the Beachcomber’s Coffee Grog
Poipu Beach Boogie Board
Skull & Bones

It also stated that it can be used in a total of 25 recipes in the app. This might save you some time as you decide how to use it. Definitely sip some of it after diluting with pure water.

Thanks Ace! I don't have the app because I currently have a Galaxy.

Hi Lori
The regular: on the rocks
Spice: rum rum Rudolph
Spice and regular: nutty like a fruitcake

Enjoy

Post pics

Cheers

Jon

H

I like making Daiquiris with my Lemonhart. (I have several bottles of the original ones I bought several years ago)

2 oz Lemonhart regular proof
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 or 1/4 oz demerara syrup, depending how sweet you like your drink

Easy recipe and it tastes delicious.
Do not use regulat sugar syrup it won't taste that great.
I make my own demerara syrup but you can buy them as well.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Nov 30, 2018 11:10 AM

I second the suggestion of the Nutty Like a Fruitcake, although I haven’t had it with Lemon Hart. And thanks for that Rum Rum Rudolph recipe, H10.

Pages: 1 16 replies